nuvinci hub

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by speeddemon, May 8, 2009.

1. speeddemon

speeddemon New Member

anyone here riding the new gearless hub from nuvinci

2. duivendyk

duivendyk Guest

Yes,if you want to learn more about installing one,check some threads I started about a year ago.It gives you the low-down.

3. speeddemon

speeddemon New Member

how do you like it is it worth what you pay for it

4. duivendyk

duivendyk Guest

If you ride in hilly terrain with a 50cc or smaller engine NV hub is necessary to get up steep hills.If you also use the Staton 18.75 gearbox in a rack setup there is a lot of weight above the rear wheel,which affects the handling of the bike adversely.The NV can only be used for right side drive which pretty much limits it's application to rack based systems or to trikes.It has a wide range 3.5:1 which has considerable appeal in hilly terrain.Shifting under power takes effort,it's better to"shift" while throttling back like in a normal transmission.Installation of the torque bars on the rear wheel was a pain.

5. speeddemon

speeddemon New Member

im riding a CH80 center mount engine with a shift kit to transfer the drive to the right side right now i have a seven gear rim on there maxspeed 58k/h but im getting a wheel built with the nv hub in it frikken things going to cost me an arm an a leg but they say its worth it i was just wondering how it is to operate and if the torque of the engine is to much for it

6. duivendyk

duivendyk Guest

The torque limit of the NV hub is 95 ft.lbs.But unless both the torque of this engine and the TOTAL LARGEST reduction from crankshaft to the hub sprocket are known, nothing can be said with any certainty.If you know the power rating of the engine (HP) a reasonble guess can be made about the output torque at the crankshaft output.My guess is that it might be a borderline situation,based on the engine size.Or else give me the gear&sprocket ratios,I'll do the math.

Last edited by a moderator: May 9, 2009