Nylocks on engine?

Russntustin

Local time
12:53 PM
I'm prepping a new engine....got all new studs (cept' the four cylinder studs...gotta find em') Anyway...anyone know how Nylocks hold up to the engines heat? Would like to use them along with new lock washers.
I would think they wouldn't 'melt' on these small engines.......

seems as if the Nylocks would hold up pretty well to heat

but -- with regards to cylinder studs

I would perfer all metal -- nut & washer and then a little LocTight

have fun as you ride that thing

Nylocks are good for everything except head and exhaust manifold studs. And actually, properly torqued on good studs, you won't even need them, IMHO.

I use nylocks on head studs with lockwasher and loctite with no problem. I don't use them on the exhaust studs though. Head is perfectly tight and never a problem.

nylock

Nylock nuts can and will melt if it gets too hot. Loctite releases when heated it is an anerobic ( absense of air) when heated releases. Buy the metal lock nuts either full or half nuts they sort of look like a nut that has been peened in one spot on one of the flats. Or just do it yourself with a standard nut. Most likely you can get a metal locknut at an Ace hardware or what maybe where you live. Glad to mail you one if I have the size and thread and address. Dane (n8ygn@aol.com)

Thanks for the offer!
I have used the 'peened' lock nuts before....
Did you guys replace the cylinder studs? The only stud material I found was metric all thread: M8x1.00. ( Jeepps! expensive too)
I will hang off using nylocks on the exhaust...I can see that there.
I can hardly believe how soft the original hardware is on these things.....I went to drive the clutch rod out of the clutch pivot arm by putting the nut loosely on the threaded end....give a couple GENTLE taps and boom....the threads were almost all destroyed!
Thanks for the input, I really appreciate it all!
Russ

All thread? My engine has a finer thread at the bottom of the cylinder studs. Are you guys matching to that and using a finer thread nut on top?

Back