O Canada - Oh oh in Toronto: e-bikes in danger

bamabikeguy

Local time
11:05 PM
I looked for a Canada thread....oh well.

Toronto asked to keep e-bikes off sidewalks and out of bike lanes
Last Updated: Wednesday, June 3, 2009 | 8:49 AM ET

Toronto's public works committee is being asked to close a loophole that allows electric bikes on sidewalks.

The pedestrian committee says it has been receiving complaints about the power-assisted bikes on sidewalks, and wants them banned.

The co-chair of the pedestrian committee, Dylan Reid, says the e-bikes have smaller wheels than regular bikes, and that lets them get around a bylaw intended for children that allows bicycles with less than a 24-inch wheel on sidewalks.

"So what we're asking for is the city to simply clarify the situation and say that anything electrically powered or motorized can't travel on the sidewalks," said Reid.

Chiquita Phillips has just bought a power-assisted bike. It has a motor and a battery that will give her an extra kick to get up hills without the legwork.

Phillips says she doesn't intend to ride on the sidewalk.

"I don't ride my bicycle on the sidewalk, and I wouldn't ride an e-bike on the sidewalk," she said.

But riding e-bikes on the sidewalks isn't the only problem.

Calls for e-bikes ban

Yvonne Bambrick of the Toronto Cyclists Union wants the city to go further and ban e-bikes from bike lanes and paths.

"I believe that any type of motorized vehicle whether it's an electric motor or a gas motor belongs with other motorized vehicles in the main part of our streets," she said.

At the root of the cyclists' concern is Ontario's new Road Safety Act.

Under the act an e-bike isn't classified as a motorcycle, but as a "power-assisted bicycle" because it has handlebars and pedals, and is capable of being propelled by muscular power, has a power output of less than 500W, and the power stops when brakes are applied.

Even though e-bikes have an ignition, lights and a speedometer, the province says they're still bicycles.

So according to the law, e-bikes are allowed everywhere that regular bikes can go - bike lanes, bike trails, even bike stands and lockers.

Bambrick says she's not against e-bikes, it's just a matter of safety.

But Phillips says the new bikes are here to stay and people will just have to get used to them.

"I'm past the point where I can get up the hills with my own leg power," she said. "It's a nice easy way to get around the city; parking isn't a problem, no gas, what's not to like?"

Last edited by a moderator:
Bamabikeguy--Born and lived in Ontario and the greatest day in my life was when I moved out. The government in that Province no matter who, couldn't run a 1 car funeral and make it a sucess.
Very much like NY State. The place is full of nimby's and always has been. Not in my back yard.

Thier only claim to fame is over the years they have had most of the manufacturing jobs. Now the car companies are going lean as well as the companies that have gone under the Province is in deep water and the boat leaks.

When you hear Canadians complaining about bad laws and the government not caring about peoples rights 95% will be from Ontario.
Just watch the guys complaining on this forum and see where they are from.

Steve.

Last Updated: 4th June 2009, 3:23am

New bike lanes approved by city

By BRYN WEESE, SUN MEDIA

City councillors swear they're not "anti-car," but their public works and infrastructure committee is most definitely "bike-friendly".

Yesterday, the committee approved 24 km of new bike lanes throughout the city, authorized staff to work towards setting up a public bicycle sharing system a year from now with a private company, and vowed to find a way to punish motorized bike riders using the sidewalk.

The bike lanes, which were announced last week, will be painted on parts of Bellamy Rd. N., Bloor St. W., Brock Ave., Crescent Town Rd., Huntingwood Dr., Lansdowne Ave., Moore Ave., Rathburn Rd., The Westway, and Trethewey Dr.

It's part of the city's commitment to add 410 km of bike lanes over the next five years for $70 million.

"When the bike lane system is in place and connected, I think we'll see thousands and thousands of people getting out of their cars and getting on their bikes," said Councillor Glenn De Baeremaeker, who chairs the infrastructure committee and cycles to City Hall from Scarborough year-round.

Yvonne Bambrick, executive director of the Toronto Cyclists Union, said while she and other cycling commuters were hoping for more, it's positive nonetheless.

"It's less than expected, but still a major step in the right direction compared to previous years," she said.

The new lanes aren't so "enthusiasts" can enjoy a ride, Bambrick said. "We're not enthusiasts. We're commuters," she said. "This is about commuting."

BRYN.WEESE@SUNMEDIA.CA

http://www.torontosun.com/news/torontoandgta/2009/06/04/9670171-sun.html

More Ontario, some place called Guelph....

http://www.thefountainpen.com/cgi-bin/showstory?id=7530
e-Bike-Prohibited Drive-June 10, 2009

Web posted on June 10, 2009
e-Bike-Prohibited Drive Arrested- On Tuesday June 9th, 2009 at 6:42 pm a male was observed operating a motorized bicycle on Victoria Road South Guelph. The cyclist was stopped by police and investigation revealed that he was prohibited from operating a motor vehicle anywhere in Canada.

The bicycle operated by the accused in this case was a 21 speed Raleigh mountain bicycle modified with a gas powered engine kit. The bicycle was being operated under the power of the gas engine when the accused was stopped.

Richard BAKER 53 years of Guelph was charged with Drive Disqualifies and will appear in court in July.

The Guelph Police wish to remind people that when e-bikes are operated in the "assisted" mode, they are motor vehicles as defined in the Criminal Code for the purposes of alcohol related offences, and disqualification offences.

Guelph again??? (a hotbed of MBoutlawery !!)

http://news.therecord.com/News/Local/article/551692

June 11, 2009
Record staff

GUELPH

If you own an electric bike, don't drink and drive. That's the message from city police, who stress they're considered motorized vehicles in the eyes of the law. Police charged a local man who appeared drunk in an incident just after 12:30 a.m. yesterday when he was stopped on Surrey Street near the downtown core. A Guelph man, 38, is charged with impaired driving, as well as a variety of other offences. They include two charges of driving while disqualified, three counts of breach of probation, two counts of breach of recognizance and one count of refusing to provide a breath sample for analysis.

One of the strategies of the cagers is any excuse to get us off the roads. Paths and, sometimes dangerous, bike lanes are their favorites.

If they get their way we'll be segregated straight into bicycle ghettos.

So I'd say that it's a good thing to make e-bikes and MBs ride in traffic. They should do the same thing for pedal cycles, strange as that sounds.

Peterborough pops up.......(Ontario)

http://www.thepeterboroughexaminer.com/ArticleDisplay.aspx?e=1611217

E-bike issue making noise
Posted By BRENDAN WEDLEY/Examiner Municipal Writer
Posted 21 hours ago

Silent-running e-bikes are making noise with a proposed prohibition of the electricity-assisted bicycles on city trails that returns to city council on Monday.

Council endorsed the proposed bylaw at the committee of the whole meeting on June 8. The bylaw would add electric bicycles and Segways to the existing ban of motorized vehicles on city trails and parks.

The city would review the issue when the province releases its report following a three-year pilot program on e-bikes that ends in October.

Coun. Doug Peacock said he'd like to look at potential solutions, considering aspects such as the type of e-bike and the weight of the electricity-assisted bicycles.

He said he's heard numerous complaints from residents north of Parkhill Rd. who live next to the Rotary Trail system.

Some of those complaints are about noise, but the e-bikes are silent, the Otonabee Ward councillor said.

An electricity-assisted bicycle, as defined by the province, has a top speed of 32 km/h. It's a bicycle with an added battery-powered electric motor that can assist the cyclist. It can also be driven like a bicycle - pedal powered - without using the motor.

Riders don't need a driver's licence or insurance to drive an electric bicycle.

Some types of e-bikes look like regular bicycles but have a small electric motor. Other types are larger than a bicycle and look more like a scooter.

City police Sgt. John Ogrodnik told council last week that most of the complaints about electric bicycles on trails come from seniors who are concerned about the noise or the perceived speed of motorized vehicles.

Last edited by a moderator:
Comming from Embrun I'm sure you get off the farm twice a year to form that stellar opinion. Yep, been to Embrun. Lived outside Brockville between Forthton and Athens for years. Bought a lot of antiques in your area.
Embrun is one of the few towns in Ontario that has Welcome To and Now Leaveing on both sides of the same sign.
Please, before you display your lack of knowledge to the public, consider it goes all over the world and represents our country.

Steve.

Back