Obligatory howdy

D_M

Local time
9:22 AM
Hey there,

I came across this through Large Filipino.

At this point I do not know what I am going to do, or even if I will build a motorized bike. I am considering getting a commuter bike. The idea of a motorized bike seems fun, but I do have an old Honda Spree in the garage too, so who knows.

I have a bunch of bikes, and I have no idea if any of them would be suited to motorizing. I have a couple of 80s Schwinn 10 speeds, a Varsity and a World. I have a cheap Huffy mountainbike with front shocks and a Schwinn mountainbike with disc brakes and front shocks. The Schwinn MTB is a nice bike, but i really don't enjoy riding it much, it is uncomfortable to me. Maybe I could convert it into something.

I have no experience with bicycle mechanics, but I can rebuild small engines.

As far as engines go, on one hand a cheap kit would be fun, but on the other hand Golden Eagle is local-ish (I am from Metro Detroit) and might get me back and forth to work reliably. It'd be about an hour each way for me.

So that is my story.

Also, I told Large earlier that a New York tabloid is talking about $10/gal gas in the US.

Welcome to Mbc. Not many motorized Huffys, you might do some research here as to why. As for the Schwinn MTB, you can always change seat, tires, forks and handlebars...... to make your own custom cozy ride.
Have fun.

This is my "new" Schwinn. I am not going to motorize this one, but it has helped me envision what I am going to do.

Attachments

• 0510082042.jpg
    0510082042.jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 134
So, I think I am going to piece together some vintage parts for my idea for a motorized bike. I actually have two ideas, so who knows, maybe I will end up making two bikes.

Anyways, check this out, I LOVE these bars. I bought them on eBay the other day for $7. (I actually bought two). The seller claims they are "Columbia Army Handlebars - Pre War (WWII) Issue." The bars have army labeling saying they are for the army bikes, like the one I have seen on this site, but the ones I got are actually stamped Torrington. They have a couple wear marks, but I believe that they are NOS. I haven't bought vintage parts before, but $7 seemed like a good deal. As of right now, they have 14 left, but when I bought mine they had 20some.

Anyways, I think I may try to make a WWII era "army" motorized bike. I don't intend to make it completely correct, but just to shoot for some interpretation of that. That is one idea, anyways. I'll post it on here if I get it going. The other idea is basically the same bike, but a 50's "Civil Defense" bike. They probably never existed, but the old Civil Defense stuff interests me.

Attachments

• 7b32_1.JPG
    7b32_1.JPG
    23 KB · Views: 111
  • 7ada_1.JPG
    7ada_1.JPG
    5.8 KB · Views: 109
Links to eBay may include affiliate code. If you click on an eBay link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
hello

So, I think I am going to piece together some vintage parts for my idea for a motorized bike. I actually have two ideas, so who knows, maybe I will end up making two bikes.
hello and welcome to MBc! i found this for fun: http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z21/KilroyCD/My Bikes/jn04013.jpg and this one was cool too: http://rides.webshots.com/photo/2343772930098054130qQEYxh i was looking for another from last year and can't find it...good luck on your builds and do start a thread in the picture gallery as we are all interested...enjoy the ride!:cool:
PS check out what grandma has: http://www.motoredbikes.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=5258&d=1205685832, not my grandma...lol:eek:

Back