Exhaust OCC muffler troubles

Discussion in '2-Stroke Engines' started by Patch, May 27, 2007.

1. Patch

Patch Guest

So right now...I have my muffler pointing straight up into my face. I can't get it around the crank without welding or buying the pipe from livefast

Should I have my frined's dad weld me one or would it be better to just buy one?

If he does weld should I just have it around the crank or should I bring it all the way back to the rear wheel like livefast's?

Thanks

2. prowler

prowler Guest

OCC muffler options

Hey, someone else from Wis with a OCC chinese bike. I just put one together and ended up using an expansion chamber from a pocket bike along with a piece of conduit (3/4") bent with a conduit bender. It looks and works great. If you're around the milwaukee area let me know and maybe I can help you out. regards.

3. SlicerDicer

SlicerDicer Guest

conduit??! seriously?!?! did you weld that... usually conduit is emt and gives off horrid gasses anyway. Well if it works it works :evil: :evil:

4. Patch

Patch Guest

hey Prowler

Im actually in Waukesha right next to milwaukee

Although your Name kinda makes me think you're a creapy stalker killer

So did you just bend the conduit and chop the header from the included muffler and weld it on there? some pictures would be nice :grin:

5. prowler

prowler Guest

muffler update

I purchased a pocket bike expansion chamber off of the Bay ($20) and lopped off the headpipe. Then I took the exhaust flange from the bike motor and cut it flush. Using the conduit bender, I bent a nice raduis that would transition from the exhaust flange under the bottom bracket of the bike and welded everything up (looks good, I think). For welding up conduit, it helps to wire wheel the galvanizing off the pipe before welding. Oh, forgot to mention that I painted the conduit black after welding so it'd match the chamber. I'll post some picts today if I get a chance.

6. OldPete

OldPete Guest

It is the fumes from the vaporizing zinc that are harmful.
    Galvanizing should be ground off and the welding done in a well ventilated area.
    Home welder/mechanics will set up a fan about 10' away to provide fresh air.

Looking forward to the pictars. :smile:

7. prowler

prowler Guest

[​IMG]
    Here's the muffler using conduit for the headpipe.

8. OldPete

OldPete Guest

That looks tough...kinda like a little thug. I like it mucho-macho. :cool:

Note: Expansion chambers tend to be installed close to the exhaust port.

9. prowler

prowler Guest

muffler

I was hoping to get the chamber closer to the exhaust port similar to the pocket bike, but it ran into the pedals, so had to mount it a little farther rearward. I'm guessing that since the volume of the engine displacement is about 6cc larger (15%) than the pocket bike, the additional volume of the head pipe prior to the chamber should still keep it tuned close to what it should be for WO performance(?).

10. OldPete

OldPete Guest

Life is filled with compromises, so do not worry. As long as it runs w/o 4 stroking your OK. (4 stroking is hit 'n miss engine ignition)

It does look good.

11. azvinnie

azvinnie Guest

patch: buy a pipe, don't waste time paying someone to weld, the welds will eventually leak oil or turn a different color, or crack and break off. just my best "fact" opinion. l like the straight thunder pipe and the livefast pipe..as l use them both,just not at the same time....let us know what happens............later

12. bamabikeguy

bamabikeguy Active Member

13. bamabikeguy

bamabikeguy Active Member

I bumped this up because there seem to be a few exhaust experts in this topic.

Dennis at GEBE told me there was a way of grinding a small flathead screwdriver, to take along on my long trips, in case carbon buildup started affecting performance.

He said (theoretically) there was a way to scrape it off in twenty minutes at the campsite.

On the road, so I would not have access to air, to blow it away from the cylinder.

I was wondering if one of you experts could do a pictoral on "scraping away carbon/airless method".

If you are going to get into the cylinder/exhaust port area anyway, a few pix of having the cylinder at the uppermost position, etc. would sure be appreciated.

paul

14. JosephGarcia

JosephGarcia Guest

I want to see this too. My exhaust is crammed with carbon, So much that I think I'll buy a new one.

But examples of how to clean it would be awesome

15. SlicerDicer

SlicerDicer Guest

carbon + heat = devastation to carbon. Burn it clean :)

At least that is what I would do... I have no idea if its the right thing or not..

16. JosephGarcia

JosephGarcia Guest

Wouldnt it just add more carbon? lol