Ocean Park WA to Newport OR solo-run

Discussion in 'Travelling, Commuting & Safety' started by gone_fishin, May 25, 2007.

1. gone_fishin

gone_fishin Guest

Gotta get my bike down to Dan @ iRide Customs somehow...this looks like
    a fun way. I'm hoping budget & other logistics allow for an early July run.

170 miles, lots of long hills, & pretty remote areas.

Click HERE for the map, more on this later 8)

2. iRide Customs

iRide Customs Member

Looks like it might only take a little over a gallon of gas. How cool is that??

3. gone_fishin

gone_fishin Guest

very cool, of course.

speaking of, i'll be calibrating the speedo & keeping a close eye on my mileage during the next gallon. looks like i only got about 90 miles outta the last one, but that's because it's all short runs. considering gvw, that's not too bad, tho.

1 or 2 days? splitting the trip might be cool, i got some nice backpacking gear 8)
  4. spunout

spunout Member

my OS is WindowsME (the ME stands for Major Errors) and my aerial image not working ATM, so those 'long hills' you mentioned...any mountains, that you'd have altitude/carburation probs? how many tooth sprocket you using?
  5. Papasaun

Papasaun Guest

Why break it into a two day trip? It says its only 4 and a half hour trip! Must be long DOWN hills. :D :D :D :cool:

6. gone_fishin

gone_fishin Guest

long steep ups & downs, but i'll be steadily climbing about a mile in elevation by the time i get there. yeah, i'll prolly have to bump the needle but i don't expect any problems.

the 44-tooth easily handles some (short) steep hills here. my 70 actually runs it's absolute greatest during those climbs, but how long a climb can it endure? the "deathrace"ers made it, and i won't be racing, so i'm confident.

oh, and papa-smartypants...unfortunately, there's mucho more up
    than down, so it might take slighly longer than 4.5 hours :p :p
  7. azbill

azbill Active Member

I found that my engine liked the climbing part best :shock:
    the harder it had to work, the more it liked it :shock: :D

spunout is talking about riding from tuscon to visit me n azvinnie
    approx same distance ... but desert and almost flat the whole way :shock:
  8. spunout

spunout Member

i used a 36tooth in the race, and like yours and Bills, my bike loves the uphill. But one thing i forgot to do was raise the seat for the times i did need to pedal. :yuck: and knees were bangin' my chin. you'll have it made w 44tooth. and it took 53minutes to go 24 miles
  9. iRide Customs

iRide Customs Member

There are a few hills between here and there...mostly the Coast Range but I don't think it will be too bad. Jefferson Oregon is only about 250' above sea level.

10. gone_fishin

gone_fishin Guest

11. Dockspa1

Dockspa1 Guest

What I wouldn't give to be back out of this giant corn field they refer to as Indiana.
    Don't forget your emergency-kit but hopefully you won't need it.
  12. gone_fishin

gone_fishin Guest

i'll use my large ALICE pack.

it'll hold every tool i need to work on the bike, spare tire, a few tubes, s/bag & tent, munchies, beverages, and still have plenty of room for my 1.25 gal gascan.

this should be pretty easy with proper preparation 8)
  13. spunout

spunout Member

Re: Ocean Park, WA to Jefferson, OR - Solo Run

Maybe you have it tucked in a different topic and i missed :p it, but what are your plans to do to your bike at iRides?
  14. gone_fishin

gone_fishin Guest

i have a couple more ideas on how to dress up the final look, and iRide is sure to have some excellent input for me, but this is where i want to start.
  15. spunout

spunout Member

that'd be a cool :idea: didnt u say u were tall?
    it looks like its already doin' a smokey burn-out :!: :lol:
  16. gone_fishin

gone_fishin Guest

yeah, i'm kinda tall...6'5"
    ...right now it's like riding a motored-unicyle with a front training wheel :lol: :lol:
  17. gone_fishin

gone_fishin Guest

last night i came to an unhappy conclusion...

during the last 2 tanks, i've been a very good "optimizer," paying close attention to overall performance & stability. i think the engine could take me anywhere i wanted with proper treatment.

but the bicycle can't :cry:

at about 100 mile intervals, i've had to do a tear-down of the back wheel to pack & re-adjust the bearings. and that's with me doing only short 6-mile runs, tops. i just don't think it can handle an all-day ride, and there are places on my route that are many miles from any assistance.

this is one of the reasons for wanting to stretch out the wheelbase, i have to get some of my weight off that back axle :!:

i know now i'll be extending the frame even more than i originally planned.

anyway, i'm making new friends daily, someone who can help me get to dan's place will come along sooner or later...meantime, i have a MBc BBQ to get ready for, maybe we'll post a little something "live" from the event 8)
  18. OldPete

OldPete Guest

Shoot man! Buy some cups, cones and balls. I never reuse balls. A bike mechanic told me they are so cheap always throw in new ones with every repack.

I was looking forward to your adventure being posted. :sad:
  19. OldPete

OldPete Guest

I ordered a pair of these in 26x2.00 to keep road shock away from my bearings and butt. :grin:

You posted the link, then I did some research and said, yeah baby!
    Review will be posted after the bike is done.
  20. gone_fishin

gone_fishin Guest

keyword..."buy"...just not possible right now, it's a priority thing :(

no complaint, just being realistic. if the ride again becomes doable, you better believe i'm up for the adventure :)