Ocean Park WA to Newport OR solo-run

What I wouldn't give to be back out of this giant corn field they refer to as Indiana.
Don't forget your emergency-kit but hopefully you won't need it.
Doc

i'll use my large ALICE pack.

it'll hold every tool i need to work on the bike, spare tire, a few tubes, s/bag & tent, munchies, beverages, and still have plenty of room for my 1.25 gal gascan.

this should be pretty easy with proper preparation 8)

Re: Ocean Park, WA to Jefferson, OR - Solo Run

augidog said:
Gotta get my bike down to Dan @ iRide Customs somehow...this looks like
a fun way. I'm hoping budget & other logistics allow for an early July run.

170 miles, lots of long hills, & pretty remote areas.

Click HERE for the map, more on this later 8)

Maybe you have it tucked in a different topic and i missed :p it, but what are your plans to do to your bike at iRides?

41_modafter_1.jpg

i have a couple more ideas on how to dress up the final look, and iRide is sure to have some excellent input for me, but this is where i want to start.

yeah, i'm kinda tall...6'5"
41_Img_1263_1.jpg

...right now it's like riding a motored-unicyle with a front training wheel :LOL: :LOL:

last night i came to an unhappy conclusion...

during the last 2 tanks, i've been a very good "optimizer," paying close attention to overall performance & stability. i think the engine could take me anywhere i wanted with proper treatment.

but the bicycle can't :cry:

at about 100 mile intervals, i've had to do a tear-down of the back wheel to pack & re-adjust the bearings. and that's with me doing only short 6-mile runs, tops. i just don't think it can handle an all-day ride, and there are places on my route that are many miles from any assistance.

this is one of the reasons for wanting to stretch out the wheelbase, i have to get some of my weight off that back axle !

i know now i'll be extending the frame even more than i originally planned.

anyway, i'm making new friends daily, someone who can help me get to dan's place will come along sooner or later...meantime, i have a MBc BBQ to get ready for, maybe we'll post a little something "live" from the event 8)

Shoot man! Buy some cups, cones and balls. I never reuse balls. A bike mechanic told me they are so cheap always throw in new ones with every repack.

I was looking forward to your adventure being posted. :(

I ordered a pair of these in 26x2.00 to keep road shock away from my bearings and butt. :D

You posted the link, then I did some research and said, yeah baby!
Review will be posted after the bike is done.

keyword..."buy"...just not possible right now, it's a priority thing :(

no complaint, just being realistic. if the ride again becomes doable, you better believe i'm up for the adventure :)

Back