Oddball Question

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by SimpleSimon, Apr 21, 2009.

1. SimpleSimon

SimpleSimon Active Member

This is going to sound a bit odd, but can anyone reccomend a bike for a 7 foot tall person? Her inseam is 45 inches, and even the tallest bike she can find makes her feel like her knees are gonna hit her chest.

2. bamabikeguy

bamabikeguy Active Member

Everything being proportional, it would seem to me that a good bike, with pedal forward (like the Sun or Diamonback Comfort Cruisers) could be used with two special adaptions, a much longer seat post and longer handlebar post. That would keep the build under $500.

Otherwise, a custom frame probably could be built in the $2-3,000.
  3. kerf

kerf Guest

Are special seat post and handlebar stems available for tall people? If so any 26" could be modified, I guess.
  4. SimpleSimon

Well, she is a woman. She really doesn't want to look like an adult on a modified kids 12 incher, which is where she is right now, except it is a 26 inch road bike.

She is in Oz, near Canberra - guess I'll tell her to start hunting a custom fabricator. She can afford it.
  5. Happy Valley

Happy Valley Active Member

It's possible to get a custom steel frame made for far less than $2-3000.
    If you need help with that I know a guy who is very good and does frames, frames not whole bikes, for half of that.

It's also possible to find decent production bikes, not department store types, made in frame sizes up to 23" so you might start with something toward that end.

Also, it's worth thinking about a 29er or 700c wheelset, might offer a bit more leg room on frame geometry from the get go.
  6. SimpleSimon

Yeah, I've suggested such, HV. She is near a fairly small town, gets into Canberra proper maybe twice a month. I've suggested a tadpole recumbent trike, with a 700c rear wheel and 22 inch fronts to her - even sent her the design for one. She wants a bike she can ride with her two older sons, and carry the youngest along on. Heck, the older boy is riding a 26 inch mountain bike, and he is 8 years old.

I hope she does get something she likes soon, and really gets into riding with the boys.
  7. ZnsaneRyder

ZnsaneRyder Member

A 7 Foot tall woman???

I'd have to see that, at least once. Especially on a bicycle! :biggrin:
  8. SimpleSimon

Her mother was 6' 2". I'm her father, and the shortest of my kids is 6' 2". My oldest son is 6' 7". Amy just got the genes for height from both of us. I did exaggerate a hair - she is 213 centimeters tall.
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2009
  9. kerf

kerf Guest

Well, height issues aside, be glad she wants to ride. Both my girls were raised on bikes but they're married now and have no time for the "old man". That just leaves me and the wife and she won't ride with me in town, only at the lake. Usually it's just me and Ralph riding, nobody else can see Ralph. Some say I'm not totally in touch with reality but I know they're the ones that are crazy.
  10. SimpleSimon

Ralph rides with you?

Heck, he goes for a walk with me most days. Pretty good companion, at that.
  11. kerf

kerf Guest

Ain't it the truth. He's a great listener, always wants to do just what you want to do and only occasionally wants to borrow money.
  12. robin bird

robin bird Member

WOWZER !!! that kangaroo meat is something else !! iam going to try feeding it to my puppy dog bull mastiff !!! LOL
  13. SimpleSimon

Born in Anerica, lived here till she was 11, then she and her mother moved to Munich, Germany. She returned to the States in 2003, emigrated to Australia in 2007 with her boys.

Her mother and I's high school mistake we never regretted.
  14. Junster

Junster Member

Trek makes a model called Pure. It's a pedals forward design. easily adapted to a tall seat post. Upright riding position. But the best thing you could do for any bike for her is to change the pedal arms to the longest ones you can get. She will feel as if her legs were set free.