off-topic clutter and how to deal with it

Discussion in 'Forum Help & Suggestions' started by gone_fishin, May 30, 2007.

1. gone_fishin

gone_fishin Guest

EDIT: boy, i really felt the crunch this morning & i blasted the group for so much off-topic content.

i'm not sure if an apology would be required or sincere, but i think i could've expressed myself a bit more diplomatically. if you had a chance to see it, you'd know what i mean.

we're growing so fast that our primary goal of being an organized source of tech/mech help is being swallowed up, so i need to ask everyone to please avoid going off-topic in the tech/mech help areas.

also, the statistics are showing a pretty large number of one-time posts, so i'd like to try staying on-topic in the introduce yourself area, too. i figure if you do want to go side-topic, at least say hi to the guy or gal while you're in their thread :D

one last thing that matters...free speech: when tom and i considered what we needed to protect our goals, we decided to use word-censoring so that young guests would be able to turn into young members/builders/riders also. "oppression?" please...every word is still recognizable, all i did was cover some naughty-bits. type away, say whatever you want how you want to, but don't begrudge some young kid in love with motoredbikes the chance to get onboard just because i put a few astericks here and there. kids are also the reason NO drug-talk is allowed.

other than that, i really don't have a problem with how things are going...i'm usually having a blast when i'm online & i don't want to lose that.

2. Tom

Tom Active Member

I agree. Augie is doing a fantastic job as a moddy; I attribute the success of this forum to him and his team of moddys. They are over-worked and could use the help of everyone to keep this place as organized as possible.

3. gone_fishin

gone_fishin Guest

i've edited my rant to better express what i was trying to say, & opened this topic up for discussion.

for those who saw the original thread, be assured it's been moved backstage where the staff will talk about how to handle some things.

hint: a possible multi-messageboard arrangement and an adult area requiring credentials. could be fun.

input is helpful, even when you think all you're doing is spanking me. this is the busiest forum i've operated and as i said in my mission statement: "i can't promise i won't screw up sometimes, but i promise to always to my best" 8)

4. Guest

Guest Guest

augi- I didn't think your "rant" was over the top....heh heh....I've seen MUCH worse...heh heh...but still, I didn't take it personally.

I know what you are up against here, and I commend you!

Can't let the inmates run the asylum.

5. OldPete

OldPete Guest

I modded over at badcap.net

I found it best just to delete posts and tell the OP to post in the proper forum.

6. gone_fishin

gone_fishin Guest

thanks, guys...mucho appreciado :D

we don't mind moving an OP that's in the wrong place, but it's really frustrating to see so much hijacking and off-topic threadkilling.

i think we're gonna try that, Pete...

if a new topic is in the wrong area, it'll be moved, try looking for it before you post "what happened to my thread?"

if a reply to an active topic goes too far off track, it's outta there. if your post disappears, you may not get a PM about it, but i guess you'll get the hint. "too far" would be cross-talk without at least acknowledging the OP. i think that's fair.

and, doggone it guys...if you're having a problem with forum ops, try the forum-help section. most likely the answer is already in here.

the board looks great this morning & i'm hoping to squeeze a few last minute B-o-M entries in...should be a pretty good day here at the MBc 8)

7. OldPete

OldPete Guest

Are we going to vBulletin? That forum software permits soft deleting and offers a box for the mod to offer a reason. But a super mod can bring the post back up and edit it if he wishes. Or posts can be delete entirely with no reason box shown.

NOTE: I wish Avatars were 150 pixels and 15kb. :smile:

8. gone_fishin

gone_fishin Guest

vB, yup...it's gonna take all month before we're ready, there's lots of moddy options for the team to get used to before we fire it up.

9. OldPete

OldPete Guest

jonnyguru.com(hardware review focusing on PSUs) uses vB 3.6.5
    and that version has excellent spam filters. I could not find the link
    at the vB support forum ATM.... I need food. :smile:

10. gone_fishin

gone_fishin Guest

we have the whole forum installed in the admin area & we're playing around with it...all the support we need is readily available, but thanks for thinking of us :D

now, lest we "hijack" this topic about off-topic content... :p :p

anyone else have any comments about our policies for consideration?