Offset Intake Has Paint

Cozmik Mezzenger

Local time
3:47 AM
I got an offset intake for my 2 stroke, and it was delivered today. However, it has this funky grey paint in and on it. It seems to me that the paint on the inside (and potentially on the outside) would eventually be eaten off by gasoline making proper combustion problematic. Or it would foul the plug.

Am I at all correct?

Attachments

• SDC15206.JPG
    SDC15206.JPG
    173.7 KB · Views: 106
  • SDC15200.JPG
    SDC15200.JPG
    134.4 KB · Views: 89
  • SDC15198.JPG
    SDC15198.JPG
    139.6 KB · Views: 95
  • SDC15209.JPG
    SDC15209.JPG
    164.7 KB · Views: 104
don't worry about it. you'll just get trace amounts over the course of a couple hundred miles.

I got an offset intake for my 2 stroke, and it was delivered today. However, it has this funky grey paint in and on it. It seems to me that the paint on the inside (and potentially on the outside) would eventually be eaten off by gasoline making proper combustion problematic. Or it would foul the plug.

Am I at all correct?
Yeah you're absolutely correct that offset intake manifold doesn't get that hot but eventually you're going to get that paint on the inside of the manifold inside and that's going to give you nothing but trouble I would take some sandpaper very fine sandpaper and get rid of that pain or do it chemically some kind of paint remover but I would definitely get it off also where it attaches where your gasket meets the engine block then you should be good to go I wouldn't worry about the paint on the outside just the inside you want to get that off good luck Windy City Bob

Thank you. The reason I am building with the offset is because I am using a smallish mountain bike as the base.
Know how that is... Try not to drop it on the right side if you don't have a lot meat on the bike, I've seen them crack occasionally from it, especially on soft ground surprisingly.

If that paint is powder coated enamel (makes sense on engine parts and price on large scale) then you will have little problems to worry about from the paint. If not then you may have small carb issues being that the gas would eventually dissolve the paint coating between the carb and the intake, enough (like a few thousandths of an inch) can make the carb loose if dissolved (again more reason to powder coat.)

Back