Offset Seat Post?

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by Russntustin, Nov 27, 2008.

1. Russntustin

Russntustin New Member

For the life of me, I can't find an offset seat post........the kind that I've seen on older cruisers.
    Like with a 4-5" set back. Anyone know where to find em'? (standard diam. I got a cruiser)
    Thanks,
    Russ

2. hotrodlincoln

hotrodlincoln Member

3. hotrodlincoln

hotrodlincoln Member

4. seanhan

seanhan Member

Happy Thanksgiving !!!!!

:stuart:

5. Russntustin

Russntustin New Member

WOW...you look like ME!

Happy Thanksgiving to all.

6. Russntustin

Russntustin New Member

Thanks Hotrodlincoln!
    That's the one.....too bad their in Canada. I kept the site....and I'll contiue to look.

7. Russntustin

Russntustin New Member

I wuz searching using the wrong words....
    It's called a "bent seat post (with support)" This is for anyone else maybe doing a similar search. Spooky Tooth sells one on their site. Their's is a nice TALL one too. Thanks again Hotrodlincoln!

8. RdKryton

RdKryton Active Member

9. hill climber

hill climber Member

try searching laid back seat post

10. Spooky Tooth has them. I have one, but it bent not long after I installed it. I weigh 215, so maybe that's too much butt for the metal.

11. hotrodlincoln

hotrodlincoln Member

12. Russntustin

Russntustin New Member

Well, I got one...but the tube diameter is smaller than the original seat post.
    Anyone run into this?
    Dang! Didn't think I would have to mess around shimming this thing!

The straight post on the left is the original.....About 1/4-3/8" difference.
    Thanks for the help.

Attached Files:

13. W/ that much difference in dia. there might be some round stock avail. in just the right size. If you "shim" it you'll want to make sure to shim pretty much all that disappears into the frame. You don't want to put all your weight (levered by the bent post) on a small part of your frames seat tube

14. Russntustin

Russntustin New Member

Wow, I lucked out with this seat post........With the end of the original seat post ('rounded' end of straight one) cut off and some light filing from the cut, the new set-back seat post jams right down into the cut one. I'll just cut the tube to length to support the new post. Should be nice and strong.
    Thanks for all that helped with this!

15. redpiper777

redpiper777 Member

bent seat post

spooky tooth has em

16. sparky

sparky Active Member

17. redpiper777

redpiper777 Member

18. redpiper777

redpiper777 Member

Bent seat post

Heres a joint in Redding Ca. Maybe thats near you...If you click on the picture of the seat post it gives the dimentions in Inches ! Spooky tooth has both the bent and the bent with a support welded in...I think they suggest over 150 pounds to get the post with support...Anyway, heres the link to the place in California called "bicycledesigner"..Good Luck !

http://www.bicycledesigner.com/partsmain2.asp?Type=seat posts