OHHHHHhhh Lovely.

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by grinningremlin, Mar 21, 2014.

1. grinningremlin

grinningremlin Active Member

2. jaguar

jaguar Well-Known Member

unfortunately she passed her genes on before dying

Fabian and HeadSmess like this.
  3. HeadSmess

HeadSmess Well-Known Member

:jester:

that has to be one of the best comments ive read in quite some time :joker:

things like this werent a necessity back in the days of ration cards and the kurs-ed keiser! what we need is a new world war that really affects EVERYONE again :)

4. bluegoatwoods

bluegoatwoods Well-Known Member

Well....let's start by assuming that it really is a true story. That site sure looks like a 'tabloid' type thing to me. But, anyway....

I can find some sympathy for her. This is coming from someone who's never had any trouble keeping a 'healthy' weight. One of the reasons I keep a healthy weight is because I keep active. And I look at overweight people and I wonder why they don't do it. To me it seems obvious that it's easier and more pleasant to exercise than it is to diet.

But I've done a lot of observing over the years and I'm convinced of one thing; it really is easier for some folks than it is for others.

Some just crave goodies. (I'm one of them) But amongst those of us who crave fattening foods, there're some who don't crave physical activity. And then there are others who, rightly or wrongly, perceive the world as a cold and hostile place and comfort themselves with too much food.

Should they and could they do something constructive about it? Of course. But out of all the people in these particular straits, only a small percentage will. Those who are left behind are to be pitied. The pity should not include those, by the way, who are maybe 30, 40 pounds overweight. It's likely enough that they have, or could have, a happy and fulfilling life. Maybe they won't live quite as long as they might have otherwise. But they're likely enough to do okay.

I can feel just a bit of scorn for those who literally stuff themselves to death. But I feel more sorrow over the fact that they couldn't get their lives together any more than that. No doubt they wanted to. They just never 'saw the light'.

So let's let them rest in peace, eh?

5. grinningremlin

NO!
    This is a personal responsibility thing to me.Some like to get on drug abusers, some like to get on those who spend beyond their means, some like to get on gamblers.It's all the same thing, lack of self control, and wanting someone else to pick up the pieces when you broke it.People b.i.t.c.h. when they have to pay for the health care of cig smokers/drug abusers/teen pregnancy/etc etc, when the complications of the overweight/obese cost more than any other thing that can be traced back to lack of self control.
    Overweight people (except for the 1%) got there by their actions (eating too much, moving too little), why should they not be chided for it like all the other social pariahs, it's double standard BS, and I don't fall for the boo hoo.
    To sum up: Like drug abuse, overeating is a personal decision, like the decision to jump in front of a moving semi, not a disease,...
    A CHOICE.Pity the dumb***, and be surrounded.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2014
  6. butre

butre Well-Known Member

I don't understand why compulsive under-eating (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anorexia_nervosa) is considered a valid psychological condition while compulsive over-eating is just someone being a disgusting fat slob or having a "lack of self control"

7. grinningremlin

That's super easy to explain.The dog analogy: a dog will keep eating if you keep throwing his favorite thing in front of him, he will not starve himself for any reason other than dying, no teeth.
    Does that explain it?So a fat human is 1000's of times worse than a gluttonous dog , not only do they have the cognitive capacity to understand what they're taking in, and what it's doing to them, they rationalize it to be OK "this time".Just the worst kind if trash there is, that mental state leads to murder, child neglect etc etc.Having the genetics/desires of the caveman, with our enlarged frontal cortex, makes overeating the same thing as heroin abuse, you're making a conscious choice, it's not some uncontrollable disease.
    People hate when you use dogs in comparison, but it really works for many social questions.
    So gluttony is normal, starving yourself is abnormal, in all nature.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2014
  8. darwin

darwin Well-Known Member

There's medical conditions that contribute to obesity or causes it. Don't be a liberal Grem!

9. grinningremlin

Don't be a moron Dar.I stated "except for the 1% that can claim actual genetic reasons."That would make me a republican, not lib anyway.I claim no affiliation to either side of common idiocy.

10. darwin

darwin Well-Known Member

In my world a moron is 3 clicks above a liberal. Sometimes I see a lil barack in your statements, makes one wonder.

11. grinningremlin

Picking sides takes you down five clicks.What is barakish about stating people should be responsible for their actions??A lib would give the overweight a pity-pot, ("poor people, it's a disease, they can't help themselves"), that's a cop out, like saying drug abuse is a disease.1% of the fat*** populace can claim medical/genetic reasons, at least 75% of the population is over it's BMI, we all have to pay for it like cig smokers, but when it's fatties it's an unstoppable disease, and most have no problem looking for a quick fix AKA bypass.That's not taking responsibility for your actions, that's being gluttonous and then wanting others to pick up the slack because you couldn't control yourself.
    Fat= took more than your share.A 300lb person pays the same for a plane ticket as a 150lb person of the same height, that's more than your share.

12. darwin

darwin Well-Known Member

We'll agree to disagree in the issue. This subject hits me personally because of a sister of mine who I've watched battle obesity most of her life. She finally found a miracle in that stomach surgery and has lost 200lbs. Creates a whole new can of worms but she looks great at 59..............

13. grinningremlin

Very cool, I can do that.I mean we love those we love, and it hits me personally also in a different way, as the reason I even found the link, is a young cousin (in her 30's!!) who had no bloody other reason than not taking care of herself.The reason she did it is her mother in law did it, a woman who was once beautiful and though the pursuit of money/status is everything, but if you don't have good health, what's money really worth?Oh well I just look at it like drug abuse, and enabling is enabling, we are setting up generations of enabled sloths to go under the knife because it was inconvenient to set examples by caring for ourselves through due diligence.

14. Fabian

Fabian Well-Known Member

Makes me think of the Monty Python character - Mr Creosote.

15. HeadSmess

HeadSmess Well-Known Member

just one more wafer, monsieur?

wait...he was force fed! inapplicable!

16. Fabian

Fabian Well-Known Member

:grin5: Oh yes, just one more wafer, monsieur?

17. jaguar

jaguar Well-Known Member

"There's medical conditions that contribute"
    Yeah but humans create most of their "medical conditions" by wrong diet, wrong habits, wrong thinking, etc.
    Most humans actually have a subconscious death wish which is why they justify their bad habits so they can "die happy". Life for them didn't turn out the way they wanted it to so instead of adjusting their mentality to their reality they just mentally throw in the towel and don't give a **** if their bad habits lead to their demise.
    Most people are just unhappy children throwing a fit for not getting their way.

18. velzie

velzie Member

No two people are born the same, either physically or cognitively. People can be genetically predisposed to being fat or thin and have to fight to lead a healthy lifestyle, i.e. they haven't 'done this to themselves' through lack of self control. Its easy to believe a lack of control when one has never had to go through something like this.

People also deal with situations much differently than others. The problems that manifest in addiction are usually caused by another underlying problem. To understand this and have a valid opinion you would need to study addiction.

19. Fabian

Fabian Well-Known Member

Most men fit into this category, thinking marriage will allow them to die happy. The greatest reality check happens when they get to the divorce court.

That best describes "all" of my ex-girlfriends.