Oil covered spark plug

Dakman

Local time
7:14 PM
And bike won't start. Just got this bike, it was hard to start and I thought it was just me not having the "knack" but even when it does start it runs rough almost bogging down while at slow speeds, removal of the spark plug shows it covered in oil, drying it off produces a couple of pops and crackles but bike still won't start.

Any brilliant ideas would be gratefully accepted.

Hi Dakman,
Just a couple of easy things to check, make sure the aircleaner is not clogged with oil/dirt and make sure the choke is 'Off' as I have a Habour Freight motor that has the choke positions labelled incorrectly.

Cheers BJ

As S said, start with the basics...

Buy a new plug.
Clean off the bike, and remove air cleaner.
If the air cleaner is in any way suspect, run without it for at least a few minutes to see if that makes a difference.

Take all fuel from the system and mix up your own batch. Somewhere around 30-40:1 of any kind of mix oil will never hurt one of these motors.

As S said, verify that choke works properly!

If you see a LOT of fuel puking from the carb when it's running, or after, the float is probably stuck. Pop the carb off and have a look inside. There are good threads here for working on them.

Tell us what happens after that and we can help get it dialed in when you have more info.

Have fun!
rc

all i can add is check all wiring is grounded properly where needed, umskies... blow through the muffler and see if its clear...

Back