Oil in Magneto

lucas

Local time
2:05 PM
I have a question. I have oil collecting on my magneto housing. Not sure how bad of a problem this is. Bike runs fine haven't noticed any difference. except i have to drain it about every 100 t0 200 miles. oh its a sky-hawk 66cc.

The crank shaft oil seal behind the magneto rotor has either popped out or has failed.
I recommend fixing it asap.
Magnetos do not like to be oily and it is also an air leak into the crank case.

not sure how to go about taking that apart. anything i should keep in mind so i dont screw myself in the long run would help.

Mark the outer face of the rotor with a sharpie pen, crayon, or scratches.
It can be installed backwards and doing so will upset the ignition timing.
Marking it insures that it will be re-installed correctly.

Remove the stator before messing with the rotor. That way you will not be fighting the magnetic attraction between the two.

Superglue the woodruff key back into the crank shaft. That will prevent the magnets in the rotor from removing it each time you try to re-install the rotor.

It is easiest to remove the rotor with an automotive battery terminal puller. They are cheap at auto parts stores, even cheaper at a 99 cent store.http://greatnecksaw.com/product_info.php?pName=battery-terminal-puller

Last edited:
So as for changing the gasket that went fine. took a look inside my cylinder housing, massive wear going piston toast. ordered 1 of each. just swapped in a new motor on my commuter bike. the one with the probs has around 6,000 miles on it. first problems ive had with this kit since i got it.:mad:

6K miles on a HT? I'd say you are doing pretty good if you are just now having problems with it.

Is there a trick to getting the old crank seal out? I can see two small sections of mine missing - they were actually hanging out in the oil sludge in the bottom of the magnet cover! I've just ordered a new seal, but I can't seem to get the old seal out. It looks like there's a metal spring inside the black rubber. ! ??

Thanks!!

here's a picture

I took a closeup of the seal I just reordered - it's really stuck in there! I saw some posts about hammering the new one in . . . but first I gotta get this one out

Attachments

• crankseal.jpg
    crankseal.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 1,045
what you need is a hook.

you need to get some piano/spring/music wire. 1-2mm. preferably straight. sharpen one end, curl it into an 8mm hook...slip it in between crank n seal, pull it out :)

there is a fancy 89 dollar tool you could buy from somewhere but i live in da bush :)

I drill a teeny hole through the face if it. Be very, very careful that you do not scratch the shaft or hole with the drill bit. I also use a piece of tube to act like a drill stop so I don't go in too far and hit the bearing behind it. You only need to go in about 1/16 of an inch.
Now use a skinny sheet metal screw and carefully screw it into the hole. Once again, do not go in too far. You only need the first 2 or 3 threads to grip the seal. Now grab the screw with pliers and pull out the seal.

Back