oil on top of cylinder?

Discussion in '2-Stroke Engines' started by drukstanas, Mar 18, 2016.

1. drukstanas

drukstanas New Member

there's always some black fluid like a oil on top of cylinder, is that normal?

Attached Files:

2. crassius

crassius Well-Known Member

no, usually it means muffler or its gasket is loose, but could be plug isn't tight or head or its gasket is loose

needs to be fixed soonest
  3. wheelbender6

wheelbender6 Well-Known Member

My 2 stroke motor did that until I replaced the original spark plug with an NGK.
  4. HeadSmess

HeadSmess Well-Known Member

judging by the location, i would say the exhaust gasket is leaking, but usually that leaks down rather than up and is JET BLACK.

plug already is an NGK, but does look like it could go tighter... the gasket is barely deformed from what i can see. next plug, get the BR5Hs ;) not overly important though. the R makes for a slightly fatter spark and reduces EMI or "radio static".

i can see at least one "defect" in the casting, and is that a crack on the base of that fin (lower right of pic), or another casting flaw? you may have a cracked head... does it make a squeaking type sound? the "squeak" means head gasket or cracked head. leaking head gasket, the squeak usually vanishes once its warmed up a bit... once again, oil wont usually make its way onto the TOP of the head...

and, looking at the goop everywhere, from carb to head, i would say its actually youre fuel tank at fault. either youre spilling it, the cap leaks whilst riding, or the mounting studs have started to pull away from the tank itself... mine always looked like that :)
  5. canalcat

canalcat Member

I'm thinking "brake debris" .caliper type spit a lot of junk off wheels!
  6. Hello Moto!

Hello Moto! Active Member

Maybe try to clean it up and see where it accumulates first. Remember the laws of physics in this situation. I agree oil will probably not go in an upward direction from the point that it is escaping..That's just gravity right? I don't know, it looks like most of your engine is splattered lol. Kind of unusual yeah?