oil put in exhaust port harmful?

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by Nate888, Sep 21, 2016.

1. Nate888

Nate888 Member

I had the exhaust off while working on my bike at a park, & I soaked some paper in 2 stroke oil & put it in the exhaust port to keep dust out. It seemed like a clever, easy way to protect my motor, but my friend warned me it would be harmful if oil got on the side of/went beneath the piston, b/c it would get into some part of the wristpin that's supposed to be a dry Teflon bearing that can be degraded by oil - if I'm remembering accurately what he said.

At the time, I couldn't get him to explain it on a way that quite made sense to me, but now I'm thinking basically the concern is oil getting into the wrist pin from the side of the piston, like under or around piston rings where it normally couldn't

Is this something I'd better watch out for &/or do I need to do anything now to protect my engine from damage?

2. zippinaround

zippinaround Active Member

I think maybe he was joking ?

3. Nate888

Nate888 Member

haha i was also wondering this...

zippinaround likes this.
  4. butre

butre Well-Known Member

there's not a single place in your engine that oil will hurt.

5. crassius

crassius Well-Known Member

excepting maybe a pool about 2 inches deep in the bottom : )

6. Frankenstein

Frankenstein Active Member

It depends on what color powerband you have, look under the wrist pin, if it's a blue band you're OK, if it's an off white or red then you may need new wrist pin bearings AND new main bearings, just make sure not to install them upside down.

gary55 and Timbone like this.
  7. Frankenstein

And if you're replacing the bearings may as well convert to left hand threads on the right side of the engine to help resist resonance loosening of the bolts on that side, since they would follow the same left hand turn of the engine on the inside from the right side.

Nate888 and Timbone like this.
  8. Nate888

Nate888 Member

thanks for the tips. I'll re read in a month or so when I do my next big engine overhaul/inspection. I'll probably do some conservative exhaust port honing, & maybe take in or drill the piston on the intake side like I see in performance mod videos

is there any clear symptom to look for to indicate if there's wrist pin problems? would it just be a bad sounding vibration? is it different from the kind of vibration you'd see w/ exhaust, wheel, mounting bolt, chain, etc. problems?

9. Frankenstein

Oh God I think he thinks we are serious...

OK uh first don't drill the piston, that's reserved for Reed valves.

Oil is fine anywhere inside and outside your motor, the wrist pin is 100% fine unless you got grit up in the motor.

The left hand threads and powerband colors are also a joke.

Timbone likes this.
  10. KTOKTO

KTOKTO Active Member

Dick. :)

Timbone likes this.
  11. Frankenstein

;)

12. zippinaround

zippinaround Active Member

anyone know where i can get some sky hooks , rubber nails or those c02 screws? been looking for years need them for a project but just cant find anyone who sells them or any info about how to make my own??

Nate888 likes this.
  13. Frankenstein

Usually find that stuff at loose-fit fasteners Inc.

14. Frankenstein

I bought a nice automatic paint brush there too!

15. Nate888

Nate888 Member

haha good.

re: drilling/skirting the piston though, I do have a reed valve. I've heard that a decent expansion chamber along w/ drilling/skirting the piston allow you you to really take advantage of the reed valve & feel significant increase in power

16. Nate888

Nate888 Member

well I think the the store near me keeps all that stuff back in the same section w/ the concentrated water, natural zero calorie bacon, unpickable locks, child-safe machine pistols & those pills from the movie Limitless...

zippinaround likes this.
  17. Frankenstein

My store has those pills too but I'm starting to think they aren't the same as the movie... My books keep turning into angry red pineapples and getting into sword fights with my ceiling fan I never had in the library until I started taking pills...

Nate888 likes this.
  18. gary55

gary55 Active Member

Not true. I did the left hand thread thing, and it cut down the vibrations quite well as long as I was traveling with the direction of the earth rotation. When I turned around though the cases split in half. Good for travel in one direction. just have to carry a extra right thread engine to get back home.

19. Frankenstein

No need, just glue some triple pole magnets to the end of the screws before installing them, make sure North is being aligned upwards during East to West travel and give a half turn to the bolts before traveling west to east. Try avoiding North and South travel with the magnets as it tends to depolorise your magneto magnet when you do. Keep it up and next thing you know your engine will start running in reverse!

20. gary55

gary55 Active Member

So would our south of the equator members have to do the opposite for the same results?