OK Experts, Riddle me this one

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by dougsr.874, Jan 8, 2013.

1. dougsr.874

dougsr.874 Active Member

I have built many, many, of these 49cc Chinese 2 stroke kits.....So I'm no newbie...I built one a few weeks ago and test rode it several miles and it worked fine....It set under my shed for about 3 weeks and then it simply would NOT start...The plug was firing, I replaced with a new carb and still no work..My very heathly son could pedal the bike with the clutch engaged, but with some effort.....Today, I pulled the engine apart thinking I would find a broken ring causing low comression..(Have no gauge)...the rings were fine, the cylinder was not scarred at all.....however, since I had an extra set of rings I replaced them.....reassembled the eninge, added a bit of gas to the tank, weather temp. was about 15 degrees warmer, and the engine started with one choking....so actually I did nothing to the engine.....could the old rings, (they were new) have been the problem?????I'm at a loss.

2. Tanstaafl

Tanstaafl Member

Just my opine, but think rings were stuck. To confirm or deny, put old rings back in, insure they are free and try a restart.

3. Samdallas214

Samdallas214 Member

had to be the rings

4. V 35

V 35 Member

Did the old rings remove easily ? Could have been a bad head gasket ? I could see gasket heating and sealing, than cooling down and leaking. May never know for sure .

5. Fabian

Fabian Well-Known Member

An engine needs fuel, air, compression and a correctly timed spark to work.

The process of elimination will be your best friend.

6. siouxindian

siouxindian Member

sometimes . things happens. ? .

7. Fabian

Fabian Well-Known Member

:iagree:

These engines are delightfully mysterious. Sometimes they do things which have no known explanation.

8. wally

wally Member

Nah! Too much work! Easier to pull the engine apart, Do you know how many times I have seen THAT here! :) Especially from people who don't know what they are doing.