Old clutch bell broke. Should I reinforce the new one?

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by bikejock, Sep 10, 2015.

1. bikejock

bikejock Member

The clutch bell broke off of the shaft on my 4G after a little over 100 miles. After looking at the new one that I got under the warranty, I noticed the clutch bell was welded on in a pretty flimsy way. I want to try to reinforce the clutch bell so it stays on the shaft without breaking off ever again. Is it a good idea or not?

Also, what are some good bearings I can use for the shaft? I damaged one of them trying to remove the bearings from the old shaft so I figure I may as well get better quality ones while I'm at it.

2. bikejock

bikejock Member

I'm now in bit of a predecement. Anyone know where to get the correct bearings for the clutch bell shaft? Buying online is usualy risky when it comes to certain parts and I hate getting the wrong stuff.

BicycleEngines.com doesn't seem to have them & I don't know where to look. Also, what's a good way of installing them? I would prefer not to spend $100 or more on a bearing press just to get them on this one time.

I'm planning on upgrading to a Qmatic set up but I'd like to get this thing fixed so I have a motorized bike to drive in the mean time. It will be a while before I get a Qmatic because I'm also getting a 79cc predator engine to go with it.

3. butterbean

butterbean Well-Known Member

4. butterbean

Actually, the one they sell for the predator is a little less. This one comes with a clutch though, the one for the predator does not. Can get a clutch for the predator for about $40 though.

5. bikejock

bikejock Member

Nice. Might get one of those when I upgrade to the predator. For now, anyone know where I can get good replacement bearings for the clutch bell shaft for the 4G? I got the new clutch bell shaft but didn't come with bearings on it. The bearings I need are the 6002RS ones. It's tricky trying to get the exact size & BicycleEngines.com don't seem to have them. Too big they won't fit into the transmission & too small they would be too loose.

I also need to know a good budget way to get the bearings back on. I know a bearing press would be needed but I don't want to spend $100 or more on a bearing press for a one time use.

6. butterbean

7. butterbean

8. bikejock

bikejock Member

I placed my order for the new 6002RS bearings. I should get them by the end of the week.

Is it safe to heat them up to expand the bearings? I heard that's the easiest free way to get bearings on a shaft. They aren't 100% metal so I'm a little concerned about what heat would do to them.

9. butterbean

Tap with hammer to get them started, then use a pipe that is slightly larger in diameter and tap the other end of the pipe with hammer to finish.

10. bikejock

bikejock Member

That sounds like a good way to get them on that's allot cheaper than buying a bearing press or paying a shop to do it. What size pipe do you recommend?

Seriously wish clutch bells for the 4G were bolted on instead of welded on. Would have saved me allot of time and trouble simply replacing the bell via bolt & nut.