old computor pw to 12v battery charger

oldpot

Local time
5:20 AM
anyone made a 12v battery charger out of a old computer power supply, i know i can buy one for 8-12 dollars but i got an old power supply and was going to try make one :) .i seen utube videos and read a few posts and they look easy(ish) to convert.

I suspect that a computer power supply wouldn't give a whole lot of current. That might put it out of consideration.

But from the looks of your earlier thread, it seems as though you don't use up all that much current.

So I'd say maybe it'll work.

But it's close enough that I wouldn't put a whole lot of time or money into it.

I suspect that a computer power supply wouldn't give a whole lot of current. That might put it out of consideration.

But from the looks of your earlier thread, it seems as though you don't use up all that much current.

So I'd say maybe it'll work.

But it's close enough that I wouldn't put a whole lot of time or money into it.

that's funny the old 300 watt AT powersupply I have by my desk will put out a maximum of 14 amps on 12 volt dc Now just think what one of the new 1000 watt atx powersupplies will put out when you mod them to use as a powersupply.

anyone made a 12v battery charger out of a old computer power supply, i know i can buy one for 8-12 dollars but i got an old power supply and was going to try make one :) .i seen utube videos and read a few posts and they look easy(ish) to convert.

now remember a powersuppy was made to supply a constant rate of volts and amps. Where a battery charger puts out LESS amps as the battery becomes fully charged. If left to long on the power supply you could overcharge the battery.

IbedaYank yes i did not realized that i could overcharge it , so would i be able to use one if i watched it and checked it every hour or so to see if it be charged ?or is there anything i do to stop it overcharging?.

Back