Old German replica

Here's another new bike, ridden for the first time today.

2035_294_1.jpg

2035_297_1.jpg

This is a Spookytooth Violation model with 36t gearing and a different seat. I added fenders spray painted black. In order to get the fenders to clear the chains, I bent them with a long nose pliers and then hammered them with a block of wood to bend the fender out of the way.

I am really amazed at how fast it goes, but not too impressed with starting out, especially up a hill. I am still learning how to ride it so I will give it some time before making any judgements.

I am trying to make it look like an antique bike. I have some ideas on how to mod it, like a new gas tank, different handlebars and an old headlight and taillight, but for now I will just ride it and have fun with it. This is the design goal:

2035_54rt125_1.jpg

It looks better with the seat down low but it is hard for me to get it started from a stop when the seat is in a non-pedaling position.

I moved the clip on the carb pin and now have more power for starting out and hill climbing. It was on the 2nd notch down and now is on the 3rd notch down (out of 4).

I am starting to learn how to ride it. For stop signs, pull the clutch and pin it while slowing down for the stop sign. Coast to a stop, then start out by pedaling, on the fourth pedal stroke let the clutch go and give it throttle. When you have a clear view and can see that there is no traffic, a rolling stop can keep you motoring without pedaling. Starting out from a stop on a hill means you will probably have to pedal along to help the motor, at least for a while.

Yep, you say you were going for that 250 BMW look, you should look around to try and find that distinctive type headlight and maybe a curved vertical license plate to mount over each fender. If I run across something, I'll let you know.
Loooking goood
Doc

Lower your seat and remove the pedals in favor of footpegs, dont worry about starting, if you have a good motor it should start right up with a small push from ur feet, you can use this same way to start from red lights as well. its not as harsh on the clutch as starting from a standstill.

buy new front forks. you want a nice springer kind like these http://www.megalowrider.com/Item/F2053.htm painted black like your frame.

or these http://www.megalowrider.com/Item/F2620.htm

Get new straighter handlebars and a bigger gas tank. look into a Whizzer Gas Tank. you can buy them seperately from the kit.

an exhuast mod with a longer pipe extending it to the back would complete it.

A lower seat and new forks would really help the most if you want that look.

DKw or BMW, if you want to make the back rack, use an old honda ct 90 you can get on Ebay for 15.00 and make some mods looks identical.
I did it for mine. If you need pics let me know.
Doc

Thanks for the tips!

I was going to look for a moped front end or a Rockshox type fork.

The seat has a quick release so I can raise it up to ride it and lower it to show it. I am too tall to use it in the low position.

The gas tank is key. I am thinking about making a fiberglass tank to fit the top bar. I also need to change out the handlebars and the handlebar stem to one that doesn't extend forward so far.

How do you start out from a stop without pedaling, do you get off of it and run a little bit, or just kind of push off with your feet while sitting?

I would love to see pictures of any similar projects.

Right now I am just riding it as is but would like to make it look like an old replica oldtimer motorcycle that someone pulled out of a barn. I think it can be done and will look original to 90% of the people looking at it.

"How do you start out from a stop without pedaling, do you get off of it and run a little bit, or just kind of push off with your feet while sitting?"

For me, I found with these simple clutches, that if you simply give it gas and release the clutch from a standstill, the two surfaces in the clutch were moving at different speeds and suddenly came into contact, wearing them down really fast.

What I did was give the bike a push with my feet, while sitting, its actually very simple and is no strain at all. what it did was allow the two surfaces inside the clutch to be moving at a similar speed to each other, and then connect them. it takes some practice, you need to learn the speed at which the motor starts, and you may have to fiddle with the idle speed. but there is a nice spot where it all works out.

I had a project like this, although I was trying to recreate a board track bike, here is a pic. http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i218/prosperoenjeru/HPIM0602.jpg
and another http://s73.photobucket.com/albums/i218/prosperoenjeru/?action=view&current=HPIM0612.jpg

mine died before I could really finish it up. :(

For more vintage style inspiration, look at the Harley 'Hummer'. They took the German design as war repirations after WWII and used this design until the 60's. BSA did the same thing in England and called theirs the 'Bantam'

Dockspa1 said:
DKw or BMW, if you want to make the back rack, use an old honda ct 90 you can get on Ebay for 15.00 and make some mods looks identical.
I did it for mine. If you need pics let me know.
Doc

Back