Old guy, thought I'd try an electric

bgmiller

Local time
7:07 PM
I bought a Mongoose CB24V450 last year and got about two hours use out of it before things started falling apart. First it was the derailer, just exploded on me. I had the local Lake Stevens bike shop put a new one on. He also straightened the frame, it was shipped to me bent. Then the motor quit. Well it wasn't the motor because testing it the motor ran, so I bought a new controller. That didn't solve the problem so I replaced the batterys and the throttle. Still doesn't work. I believe I paid way too much money for a lawn ornament. I'm just about ready to put it in the back of the truck and haul it to the dump, but it still looks to new to just throw away. A word of advice, never never buy anything made in China. So much for my introduction to electric bikes.

There not all bad,you just got a bad one. i also had a 24v mongoose electric bike and it ran great,i used it for a whole year,it would go 5miles at around 15mph with no peddaling.but when the batteries needed replacing i bought a gas engine kit instead.

CB24V250 mongoose

i bought mine at walmart,if anything would have broke i would have brought it back and got my money.

Last edited:
it's the batterys that I just bought from Monster Scooter Parts. They won't take a charge and at $55 for shipping I'm not sending them back. I put them on the charger until I got the green light and the throttle control led only went to yellow. As soon as I cracked the throttle the led went red and nothing else happened. I am going to see if Shucks has these batterys and try again.

Well, after buying 2 sets of batterys, 2 controllers and another throttle. I found the problem. A very bad connection between the battery case and the cord that plugs into it. I tested this cord maybe a dozen times with my VOM and it was always tested good. I slightly twisted the lugs on the battery case and now have a good connection. The bike actually works. So I now have two sets of good batterys. Maybe I'll set them up to double my range.

Well, after buying 2 sets of batterys, 2 controllers and another throttle. I found the problem. A very bad connection between the battery case and the cord that plugs into it.

The bike actually works. So I now have two sets of good batterys. Maybe I'll set them up to double my range.

YEA! (y) way to go bgmiller. You showed us all a good lesson of determination. Dont give up, not you.
I had a feeling about a wire connection. There always tuff though when the tester says there AOK. With a quick connect plug, yes you should be able to stop, switch, and be rolling in minutes with extra batteries. Congrats on your fix. Good eye. :D

Back