Old Murray 26" and a motor.

oldsalt

Local time
10:42 AM
I'm new here. Decided I needed a motorized bike. Zone 8 sold me the RAW engine. A friend with a barn full of old bikes gave me a Murray that is old but original. The attached picture shows the completed machine but the bicycle has not even been washed. Has been very cold so it only has about 20 miles on it.

Attachments

• z9 001.jpg
    z9 001.jpg
    140.6 KB · Views: 212
Hi oldsalt. Welcome to MBc!

If you search and are unable to find your answers, don't hesitate to post your question.
Someone will steer you to a link, or reply to your question. Were here for each other! Enjoy! :D
You may have seen this, but here's a great MBc starter "link" to get you motoring.
http://www.motoredbikes.com/showthread.php?t=10392

Neat looking bike! Just don't slip forward off the seat onto the gearshift, or you'll be a soprano!

A really neat looking bike.

But I'm confused; that does look like a gear shift, but the rear axle doesn't seem to have multiple chain rings.

A really neat looking bike.

But I'm confused; that does look like a gear shift, but the rear axle doesn't seem to have multiple chain rings.

Ah, follow the yellow brick ro...um, I mean follow the shifter cable. You'll see it leads to something along the same lines as a Sturmey Archer internally geared hub.

Last edited:
Yes indeed! It's a 3-speed hub sorta like a Sturmy Archer from days of old. My only problem with the machine is the outragiously rich carburation. Been looking at other threads to determine a course of action. Apparently the first thing to do is to open up the rediculusly restrictive EPA muffler. Then it will be possible to adjust the needle and float level in the carb. That will be my first move.

er....falls easily to hand
......My grocery store "basket mobile" Schwinn has a Shimano 3-speed with a stick shift in about the same place. I get odd looks when I reach down to shift, of course, I get odd looks all the time no matter what bike I'm on.

Back