old SA 3 speed hub wont engage

there was indeed an oilhole mountain man! and i found a suggestion on blasting it full of WD40 a few times and giving her a good workout. sure enough, all is well. i let all the wd soak out and then i went ahead and put some good old 2 stroke oil inside it lol

The thicker the oil, the better. The seals aren't too great. And you only need a tiny bit, or you'll have a mess on your hands. You'll be able to tell by the tick of the pawls if you have enough oil. SA hubs run great with a little maintenance, keep that cable adjusted!

These hubs NEED regular lubrication!!(esp for the planetary gears) ,that's what that nipple is for.

I think Sturmey-Archer recommended a medium weight oil, about 1/4 teaspoon every fortnight, under heavy use. ( I think that is quite a lot. It will run out for a long time if you put in too much.) If the oil is too thick, the pawls will stick. (They will not engage.) Don't ever use 3-in-one oil in Sturmey hubs, because it's part vegetable oil and will become gummy, necessitating a tear down and cleaning. I use lithium grease on the ball bearings and thirty weight in the oil hole ( just a few drops). If it dosn't have an oil hole it is a later version and intended to use grease. The only way to grease it is to open it up. ( see: Sheldon Brown)

the sturmey i have is a 6's production model aw with an oil hole.

i have been using a couple ml's of 2 stroke oil. seems to make the right music on a coast through gears.

(it changes pitch and doesnt skip a click)

Back