Old Whizzer pushing oil?

Discussion in 'Whizzer Motorized Bicycles' started by BlueWhizzer, May 17, 2012.

1. BlueWhizzer

BlueWhizzer Member

My original 1946 Whizzer uses about an ounce of oil every 3 or 4 hours of easy riding and you can wipe the inside of the exhaust pipe and get burnt oil in your finger. It runs like a champ though and is very reliable.

Should I not fix what isn't broke or should I rebuild it this coming winter?

2. RdKryton

RdKryton Active Member

Make sure your crankcase breather is not clogged.

3. BlueWhizzer

BlueWhizzer Member

Thanks Jim I'll remove and clean it. It runs so well it is hard to believe the engine needs rebuilt/work.

I went for a long ride on Saturday (about 4 hours) and when I got home I noticed that some oil sprayed out of the breather hole. That is the first time I have ever seen it do that but, I usually only go for short 1 hour or less rides. I'll have to come up with a small hose to keep the spray away from the belts.
    JimT likes this.
  4. BlueWhizzer

BlueWhizzer Member

I removed the breather and disassembled it. It was not very easy to blow through it even after I removed the clip, washer, wafer and spring so, I flushed it out and blew through it again and it still seemed too hard to blow through. So...then I removed some of the packing and now it seems fine to blow through.

A few questions though.

1) is the stuffing that is in the breather there just to act as a filter so that dirt isn't sucked into the engine?

2) Direction of the washer that sits against the wafer...does the raised lip go towards the wafer or does the lip face out? I re-assembled it facing the wafer because it makes sense but, I don't want to assume.

3) How do you removed the cap on the breather tube so you can clean or replace the stuffing?
  5. WZ507

WZ507 Member

Engine Breather Assembly

The purpose of the filler material in the breather is to demist the oil-laden air coming out of the crankcase. The accumulated oil then drains back to the the engine via the small slot on the bottom of the breather (just below the flapper valve).

You have assembled the breather correctly, with the washer flange facing into the breather.

To remove the welsh plug, you can drive a drift or punch through it and pry it out, or you can drill a hole in it, thread a stout sheet metal screw into the hole, hold the screw in a vise or with a plier and pull the plug out.
  6. BlueWhizzer

BlueWhizzer Member

Thank you very much for the info. Hopefully flushing the packing out with LPS (didn't have carb cleaner handy) cleaned it up and I won't have to pull the packing out.
  7. Quenton Guenther

Quenton Guenther Motored Bikes Sponsor

Try soaking in part cleaner fluid, then use air to flush out any remaining dit.

Often many replaced the welsh plug at the top of the breather with a quarter when the plug was lost.

Have fun,
  8. RdKryton

RdKryton Active Member

Also keep your eyes open for a tall breather. They are on 1949 and later engines. Using a tall breather allows you to use 8oz of oil instead of 6oz.

9. BlueWhizzer

BlueWhizzer Member

That is a good idea, I'll do that. Thanks Quenton.

I'll keep an eye out for one. Thanks Jim.
  10. Quenton Guenther

You can purchase a repo of the tall breather from Wildfire in Ohio.

Have fun,
  11. BlueWhizzer

BlueWhizzer Member

Well, I went for a 4 hour ride Yesterday and she ran great. A very tiny bit of oil came out of the breather in the first few miles of the ride and then no more. I kept an eye on it all day. The gas tank and oil was full when I left the house and when I got home I had about 1/4 tank of gas left and the oil was low just showing about 1/8" on the tip of the stick so, I'll have to carry oil with me from now on. I'll have to think more about working on the motor this winter because I don't like that it uses that much oil. It was very hot though, about 90 degrees. I shut the engine off on all of the long down hills to give it a break. I only putt along between 15 and 25 mph so, I am not pushing the engine much.
  12. RdKryton

RdKryton Active Member

What wt oil are you using? Not 10w 30 I hope. Straight 30wt is the correct oil.

13. BlueWhizzer

BlueWhizzer Member

Jim, I am using Castrol heavy duty straight 30wt.

14. Quenton Guenther

Hi Scott,

Never had much luck with Castrol, as it "foamed" a lot in my race bikes [in the late seventies].

Try using straight 40W until you can rebuild the motor.

Have fun,
  15. I use straight 40 weight in my Whizzers. I tried some Lucas synthetic once. I turned around about four houses down from me, went home and put the 40 weight back in it. I thought it was coming apart at the seams.
  16. jbcruisin

jbcruisin Member

17. mason_man

mason_man Active Member

2 oz. of Lucas Heavy Duty Oil Stabilizer and straight 40 weight works good for me.

18. BlueWhizzer

BlueWhizzer Member

Thanks Quenton, I switched over to 40W Pennzoil today.

Thanks for the link Jay, I just ordered the tall breather too.
  19. BlueWhizzer

BlueWhizzer Member

Thanks again Fella's I put the tall breather on and filled with 40 weight oil. I just went for a 2 hour ride (I have a nasty sinus headache but, it is too nice to sit inside) and when I got home the oil level was still over the old "full" mark and the engine liked the extra oil.
  20. Oil makes the world go around.