OMG! Broken vertical frame tube!!!

Oscully,

You are right about the varied inner diameter. I am considering two solutions:

1. Pump some liquid nails or other flexible glue into the tube before inserting the post.

2. My buddy just gave me a cheaper bike which probably does NOT have varied inner diameter tubes. :D It seems that the cheaper, heavier, (or older) bikes make the best donors for these projects.

Here's the damage: Sorry this bike is so disgusting! I haven't yet figured out exactly where the leaks are from; it seems to blow oil out of every crevice.

IMG_8517a.jpg

The probable culprit: A broken mounting stud with hasty hose-clamp fix that failed.

IMG_8518a.jpg

FWIW....mine leaks from the carb...and lands on the engine forming a puddle near the cylinder head base....uponcloser examination I noticed that the little fuel line (the greenish clear type...semi translucent) was actually seeping fuel where it attaches to the carb nipple....I changed the line to standard automotive fuel line used clamps and now fuel leaks are solved....may help you....Bummer on the frame tho.

Andrew

PS - be careful welding bike frames....some are very thin....easy to burn holes

Thanks Andrew,

Not sure what I'm gonna do with this frame yet. I'd love to hear more ideas about how to fix and reinforce this tube!

Measure the I.D. and get a machinist to turn it down to the proper size -.001 thousandths. You might get lucky and find something with a stock size close enough to sand to fit. Hammer it in half way hammer the top on half way and weld with the heat up enough to penetrate the walls and into the core insert. Probably only needs to be 2" long.
Just an idea.
Doc

Just my opinion - I'd scrap the frame, accept it as an expensive lesson, and start over. I would be afraid that movement of the frame when it broke may have weakened it in other areas.

If you do what I sugjested, it would be a stronger frame then it was new! If you have local machine shop, it might cost 30$ or so maybe less.
Doc

You would have to bring them the dimentions for the piece so measure well. You can get a plastic set of calipers for 5.00 and they will do the job.
Doc

I'd have to agree with Alaskavan... Get a different frame. you'll be better off in the long term. Definately do reinforcing to the frame. Most frames that I do these days I reinforce with a gusset at the headtube minimum... I usually will reinforce the mounting areas with larger diameter tubing. I'd also recomend brazing as opposed to electric arc welding in the home shop for doing bike frames. I like to tack weld with my little hobby grade 115 flux core wire feed, then clean it meticuously (to get all possible contaminates out) and braze it the rest of the way... Just, you know, my 2cents...

Back