?? on making your bike legal

forgetmenot

Local time
4:56 PM
so lets say i just get insurance and plate my bike and register it in michigan. will this cover all 48 states like it would a car? i drive a semi truck and want to be legal about it

If you are passing through and observe trafic laws it should not be a problem. I believe it is similar to your drivers liscense being recognized in another state. It would be best to check local laws though, since you really do not want to return for a courtdate. Here are some links to MI law threads: http://www.motoredbikes.com/showthread.php?t=6829&highlight=michigan
http://www.motoredbikes.com/showthread.php?t=12075&highlight=michigan
http://www.motoredbikes.com/showthread.php?t=20957&highlight=michigan
But be forewarned.....there are very few lawyers on this site, You should double check everything with your local DMV.

If it were me- headlight / tail light (on allways like motorcycle) stoplight and helmet.
With a plated bike you should be golden. That is what I have.

Hi Forgetmenot -

Welcome to the forum. It seems the Professor and I are more vocal about using common sense to follow laws of the road more than others. Most everyone else are less vocal, but usually agree to our advice.

I am a strong advocate of wearing a real DOT-approved MOTORCYCLE helmet, leather gloves, a bright yellow cyclist jacket, long pants, and full coverage shoes. I also like lots of lights and reflectors. Stay slightly under the speed limit at all times, make full stops at stop signs and red lights, and watch out for the arrogant "cagers" (aka, dumb drivers; they are a threat to all two-wheel riders). I have ridden over 1,200 miles in towns and on open 2-lane highways (had a few close calls to accidents), carried on conversations with police officers while on my bike (engine off), and have been seen numerous times by all levels of law officers. My observation: Dress and ride smart and do not give them a reason to stop you, and they will probably leave you alone. (And, by the way, my bike is plainly not plated by the state.) As a professional truck driver, some bike builders should listen to you detail the importance of following traffic laws. Read the stories of others on this forum and get all kinds of ideas for builds!

PS : I am currently pursuing getting my latest build plated by state government.

MikeJ

Last edited:
hi guys
first off i would like to say thanks for all the help. being a truck driver i like to play it extra safe, i see alot go wrong on the road every day, also just because u dont have to do something does not mean u should not do it. i would get me a helmet, but thats a good idea on geting a dot brain bucket. thanks for that tip mike. also mike what did u have to do to get a plate for your mb? professor are there any kits to wire a bike up that u know of?

Hello there, Just chiming in here. I been hanging my motorized bike on the back of a semi for 20 years. I been stopped too on the bike. If you are an adult and are not cutting up there should be no problems. But keep reading the legal column for the certain towns and other areas where there are "enforcement campaigns".

Hey maybe I'll pm you. I been all over the usa on bike and semi. When I get home I'll post a picture of my motor bike at Niagra Falls. I took it right to the look out. I drove it from the Buffalo truck stop and found some nice trail taking the scenic route there. I've had my bike right to the fence at the white house. I've cruised NYC. Out west in the deserts. We got it made where we can go !

Hi Forgetmenot -

Question: "also mike what did u have to do to get a plate for your mb?"

Answer: I am in the process. I am residing in New Mexico right now. The government is forward-thinking enough to assign a VIN to a new build that did not exist before (ie, no frame VIN already exists). I have to fill out a form requesting a state-assigned VIN. (I have to include a list of parts and pieces and engine bills-of-sale with the form, as well as an affidavit that a VIN for this new build never existed before.) A second form that is available through a state-run web site has a checklist for a custom-built motorcycle (I am using this checklist because my engine is 79 cc displacement. Under displacement of 50 cc, no paperwork nor registration nor licensing is required.) The form has a checklist for: two headlights, a loud horn, a muffler of some kind (not necessarily effective), a brake light, and more, but electric turn signals are NOT a requirement. Because my engine is over 49 cc, I want to get it registered as a motorcycle. Passing all this will get me a plate. Research your state's DOT site; your mileage may vary.

For a motorcycle license, completing formal motorcycle-handling training by a state-recognized training school (can cost up to $300; probably will) AND passing a relatively simple written exam are necessary. For motorcycle insurance, the state-assigned VIN will be needed.

Another state, Colorado, makes it much more difficult than necessary to get a VIN for a new, custom build motorcycle. I looked into it only one time; the paperwork and state police inspection and proof-of-insurance and more red tape just convinced me to ride conservatively and well dressed, if not legally.

If I had a 49 cc engine, I would not have bothered in either state. And I would be legal.

Getting insurance for a vehicle without a VIN may be possible; but someone else here will have to point you how to do that. Mopeds, scooters, etc, have VINs; dealers fill out the forms at time of sale. I am guessing that insurance companies just cannot handle non-VIN'd motorized bicycles. My experience is that Geico, USAA, Farmers, and Allstate want nothing to do with non-VIN'd vehicles.

If I did not need pulling power, I would have stayed with a 49 CC engine and saved myself a lot of aggravation and effort.

MikeJ

Last edited:
Hi mike
thanks for the info,but i have a new question for u now lol.
when u get your vin, what do u do with it? engrave it on your mb somewhere?

For katoomer
u just need to stop talking!! all this talking about seeing Niagra Falls, White House, is getting me to excited on making my mb lol.
u say u hang it on the back of your semi? i dont think that would work for me cause i pull a refer 100% of the time

Back