on the current problem with woodruff keys

crassius

Local time
12:33 AM
Just had a guy come it with free spinning drive sprocket. Been seeing a lot of these on the boards lately, but none at my shop. I don't know what kit it is, but it has a gold sticker on mag cover saying 'not for road use' according to EPA.

Went to put a key in, and found why it was bad. All motors I've seen always had all four keys matching in thickness (either fat keys or thin keys). This motor has slots cut for fat keys, but all attaching parts had slots cut for thin keys. This lets the key fall out or even turn a bit sideways and get sheared off.

To keep repair cost down, I used a bit of steel in the slot to hold a thin key a bit higher and tightened it down well. Looks solid now, but will re-post if it fails at some point over next couple weeks.

Thanks Crassius. Something to be careful of.
I'd suggest using a fat key filed to fit the thin slot f possible.
However that would significantly increase the repair cost to pay for the filing and fitting.

I have the same motor with the not for road use on the mag cover and low and behold the woodruff key is gone what size is it that I need to put in there?

I really need to know the key size to buy because there are more than I imagined and I am just stuck until then

I bought a set with various sizes and filed to fit. Any auto parts store should have them.

all 4 keys should be same in a motor - take one of the others with you to store (to be extra sure, take the other key off same shaft)

no telling what any chinese factory will use as they usually seem to grab whatever is cheap this week : (

Back