Ontario Laws Regarding Motor Assisted Bikes & Mopeds.

C

chrias

Hmmm...looks like we Ontarians are screwed. I guess it would be best to ride on the sidewalk?

Well it seems like I can't get around that damn message telling me I can't post a link so for any Ontarian interested in reading it just google "Ontario moped law" and you will find the link to the MTO website.

Yo Chrias, you sped right by the Intro area, easy to do on a bike btw.

The posting link delay is our Spam-prevention device, and sometimes the 24 hour wait on pics/links is shorter....

BUT, what I wanna know is how you great guys in the North let the gubbmint hornswaggle you right out of the two cycle movement??

Before Tom got this started last year, I was looking in Wiki, noticed some electric guy in Canada (CyclePat??) raise all sorts of technical h*ll with the Wiki editors about motorized bike definitions, the MOST disruptive Wikiarguement I ever saw.

Anyway, how did the Canadian electric guys elbow the 2 cycle people right into traffic court??? And does the ban include outside of city limits up there?

Might be a good opportunity for some Canadian MB history, AND be helpful to us as local do-gooder gubbmints try to tax/title us to death.

Oops my bad for passing the intro.

The ban is province wide and it's up to the officer to enforce the Highwyay Traffic Act. Some small towns may be able to get away with it due to minimal traffic, etc.

One of the main reasons the laws were changed were due to the pocket bike craze. A lot of people were stating that they were mopeds and were allowed on the street as they were less than 50cc and you didn't require a license or registration so that pretty much ruined it for everyone.

There was a big article a couple of weeks ago in the Saturday Star in regards to the electric bike that looks like a gas scooter. It was a pretty interesting read.

I guess the other reason the two cycle got elbowed is because electric is zero emissions and noise.

I know there is a petition going around to change the rules and definitions for mopeds because I don't have the time to get an M license plus I don't ever plan on owning a real motorcycle.

If that pocket bike craze didn't hit and there weren't a bunch of idiots breaking the law then the laws wouldn't have been changed and I'd be able to ride a motorized bike with just my driver's license.

MOPEDS IN ONTARIO

A moped is classified by the Ontario Highway Traffic Act (HTA) as a 'motor-assisted bicycle' . The vehicle must meet the technical definition contained in the Act and the rider must have a valid Driver's License. To ride a moped any type of license is acceptable. Unfortunately as of November 28 2005, M1 LICENCE IS REQUIRED in Ontario. Mopeds are NOT allowed onto divided traffic highways (400-series, QEW, etc.). Wearing a helmet (motorcycle-grade, or DOT) is mandatory, so is a license plate and insurance (minimum coverage is third party liability).

MOPEDS ARE EXEMPT FROM SAFETY CERTIFICATION, WHEN OWNERSHIP IS TRANSFERRED/SOLD. MOPEDS ARE EXEMPT FROM PERIODIC AIR-CLEAN INSPECTIONS.

A moped must have

working pedals (so it can be driven by human power alone).
mirror at least one (left side).
automatic transmission, (no manual or foot shifting of gears is allowed).
fuel shut-off valve.
kill-switch (To shut-off engine).
A moped cannot:

have an engine displacement over 50cc
exceed a speed limit of 50 km/h (30 mph)
carry two persons

your "bad" for passing the intro again...hey, man, we're a social group & like reading "introduce yourself" posts, that's where we get to know each other :)

Hey, hey, hey, I went and made a post in the intro section afterwards. You're bad for not double checking.

:D :LOL: :LOL:

i was here the whole time, i see what's up, but we're on the same page now so no matter, eh?

thanks for the intro, it helps to know a bit about who we're dealing with :)

Back