Oops look what I found

Discussion in '2-Stroke Engines' started by rabobanks, Jun 9, 2012.

1. rabobanks

rabobanks New Member

I pulled my clutch cover yesterday and saw that the screw holding the small gear (crank?) had come loose and almost all the way out. It rubbed the cover and damaged the threads coming out. I was able to save the threads on both the screw and inside the gear. Not sure if this is relatively common but I figured it was worth sharing. I removed the stock star lock washer with a standard lock washer and applied locktite to the threads.

Attached Files:

2. Steve1990

Steve1990 New Member

I have the opposite problem, I cant get mine out for the life of me. I guess if I ever get it out, I'll have to put loctite on it when reinstalling it. Thanks for the heads up. Its amazing what parts manage to work loose on these things.

3. Fabian

Fabian Well-Known Member

@ Steve1990

Getting that bolt out is quite simple - a few well placed taps on the outside edge with a sharp centre punch will do the trick - the same goes for reassembly.

4. wan37

wan37 Member

I went to install a centrifugal clutch and my screw was laying the the cover too.

5. rabobanks

rabobanks New Member

It's just one more bolt that should checked periodically. I've had pretty good luck with replacing the stock bolts with good ones and using locktite. So far only the stock bolts continue to come loose