Options seem limited these days, whats up ?

Discussion in '4-Stroke Engines' started by Bill P, Jun 5, 2014.

1. Bill P

Bill P Member

seems like most companies and I am referring to staton and GEBE have limited their engine options.Inlive in a town with a lot of long grades and would like a little more power than the gx35 or eh25 offer, in a 4-stroke ideally.Where can I find say a Mitsubishi tl43 (4-stroke?) or a slightly larger engine.I think the gx50 may be just a little too large and you have to get the staton adapter kit to boot which makes it less appealing...Thanks.

I don't want any china engines, I need reliability.

2. grinningremlin

grinningremlin Active Member

A Tanaka PF4000 or hopped up Tanaka 33cc will do ya, the Mitsu TLE43 is pretty rare, they have brushcutter TL43's on feebay, but they don't get the killer mileage the TLE does("E" standing for environmental).You are correct in staying clear of chinese stuff, BUT if that's your only option you can create better reliability by putting a Walbro carb on them.Other than that, you need to gear down or get/make a geared system for the little engines (landrider jerry?).I have to say my little RS-eh035 is one of my favs, nice pull no ear plugs (you'll need ear plugs with 2 strokers) but no where near the pull of the PF4000.

3. Bonefish

Bonefish Member

4. Bill P

Bill P Member

I wonder how effective the larger muffler that staton sells is, he says 20% reduction in noise? Or is it just the nature of 2-strikes to be a bit offensive sound-wise? Thanks for the input.

5. grinningremlin

4 & 2 of similar displacement will have about 80db of noise.A 2 strokes tone is nearer to the mids (speaking range, electric guitar) so it appears louder, but my warning is, if it appears louder in the most crucial range for intelligible conversation, the cilia in your inner ear are waving like crazy when the engine is rocking, cilia can only take so much, then they break, then you're left with tinnitus in that range, not good.
    I have a silencer on my exhaust, and an ADA juicebox on the intake (intake is where more than half the noise comes from) and it's still loud WOT.At idle it's no louder than a silenced RS eh035.

6. LR Jerry

LR Jerry Well-Known Member

Bill I'm 250 lbs and live in Tennessee. We've got up to 30% grade hills. I'm currently using an RS 35 engine. I'm able to go up theses hills because of a shift kit. So you may want to check into getting one. Staton and SBP sells them.

7. Bill P

Bill P Member

Are you referring to the Nuvinci at staton pr does he have a less expensve model or type, I'll check out the site.Thank you.

8. LR Jerry

9. Bill P

Bill P Member

Wow, had no idea these existed, I assume you would need an inside drive chain kit ?

Also, would a local bike shop have the tools necessary to modify the crank? , I could do it but I don't have the tools required.

I see he has a full kit here. http://www.staton-inc.com/store/pro...te_with_Honda_GX35_35_8_cc_Dicta-1197-15.html

I had no idea this was an offering, and here I am looking at the honda ghx 50, I think with this kit all you need is the gx35 with the gearing options, apparently there is no gearbox involved here ?? This would accomplish everything I need.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2014
  10. LR Jerry

Yes you'll need an inside drive. The SK gas all the parts that's needed. You could go to a bicycle shop to have your old bottom brackets removed. Staton sells a crank arm remover. I suggest getting one. What speed rear freewheel or cassette do you have?

11. LR Jerry

Bill the one thing I'd also suggest is get some tools. You do from time to time have to do repairs on these bikes. Most bike shops won't even work on them after a motor has been installed. They feel to many things could go wrong with it opening them up to law suites. Many shops insurance won't cover work being done on a motorized bicycle.

12. Bill P

Bill P Member

Well, a friend has a 98 Trek 9800 oclv I want to buy, apparently its an 8-speed.I will look into getting the tools needed to install it, they look pretty basic.Chain breaker(i have a grinder), the puller I can buy.I have done a ton of automotive work, never messed with bike cranks and that.Will the 8-speed work ??

13. KCvale

KCvale Motorized Bicycle Vendor

Hi Bill,

I build bikes in North Phoenix and have good luck with the HF 142F 49cc 4-stroke with 4G belt transfer case from gasbike.net for $350.

They run just dandy as direct drive

[​IMG]

And downright amazing with a $200 SickBikeParts.com 4-stroke shift kit.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

You need bike gears to take advantage of shifting, and gears change everything.

14. LR Jerry

Yes the 8 speed is an excellent choice. Count the teeth on the smallest gear. If its 14t then use this ratio for gearbox to shiftkit 18t:44t. If its 13t then use the ratio from GB-SK 17t:44t. The SK comes with a 28t chainring you'll need to add a 36t and 44t chainring. The engine sprocket also comes with the kit and its 44t.

15. LR Jerry

Bill depending on your size and how steep the hills are where you live, the setup KC is suggesting would be simpler to build and less expensive. I'd suggest a shift kit with a rear 3 or 5 speed internal hub.

16. KCvale

KCvale Motorized Bicycle Vendor

I like buying a simple but sturdy 7-speed like the black Macargi Pantera 7S above as the frame has dual V-brakes, and then just swapping out the 7-speed system for a Nexus internal 3-speed, it really makes a sweet machine that will run you all day long if you want from 8MPH to ~35MPH sitting up comfortable ;-}

17. Bill P

Bill P Member

Those kits look nice but I won't use chinese parts and engines, I was looking at the staton gear box (16 to 1) the assembly looks pretty simple, just changing out the crankshaft.It is a little pricey but worth it if it lasts and works well.He claims this new gear box is "whisper quiet".I would have to call him and talk about chains, like how many would I need etc.My town is built on the foot of a sloping hillside, not big hills.My old GEBE w/ suburu 35 couls do it with a running start but it would bog down to 5-7 mph.I would like to be able to maintain a good cruising speed.This way I could zip up these grades without any trouble.I am debating on the ghx 50 f/d or the gx35 crank shaft kit, both pricey.Again, I am not sure if I would need to drive every rear sprocket or just one, I wish he had pics of the install unless I am missing something..Thanks !!

18. LR Jerry

Bill the Staton gearbox is one of best around. Large guys on steep hills can get slippage with belt drive systems. But chain dive and gearboxes don't slip. If the Staton system what you want to go with I can help you set it up. Here is a video of my bike.

http://youtu.be/pGDGIIdn--s

19. Bill P

Bill P Member

Looks cool Jerry, how many sprockets need to be attached to the original crank?

KC, I just love the idea of a frame mount, but don't feel the parts are good enough yet for reliability, day in and day out.

20. grinningremlin

I think you're playing a losing weight game.You have a GEBE, it's the Mercedes of MAB.By putting a staton gearbox and all the stuff you'll be putting the equivalent weigh of two possibly three GEBE's on one bike, adding complexity (more moving parts, more to breakdown).I suggest either an 11-gear with the RS, or a 12-gear with a Tanaka 40cc, OR redo your front chain-rings to make short work of your hills.A gearbox seems like unnecessary expense when you already have the best, just mod it to your terrain.