P.i.n.o.

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by safe, Jun 18, 2010.

1. safe

safe Active Member

P.I.N.O.

Pedals In Name Only

An acronym that would be used by Cyclists regarding motorized bikes that have so much horsepower in their motors that pedals become "faux pedals".

Usage:

"That motorized biker is a PINO."

(sorry guys, it was too good not to mention :tt1:)

2. SimpleSimon

SimpleSimon Active Member

I prefer pfc - "pedals for cops".

3. AussieSteve

AussieSteve Active Member

I agree with PFC, SimpleSimon, that's how I look at it.

Safe, what's 'so much power'?
    During most rides on my electric I do no pedalling and it's all of 200W.
    (Never pedal on the 2-stroke, but that's a different story.)

Guess I'm a PINO, twice over.

4. Stan4d

Stan4d Banned

Lets all just be respectful of others and remember that it is a family friendly site.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2010
  5. safe

safe Active Member

I will not repeat the meaning... but the pronunciation should be clarified:

Prounounced: "Pee No"

(there are other ways to pronounce it)

6. AussieSteve

safe, I think that you need to realise just when to let a dead horse rest in peace.

7. safe

safe Active Member

Now hold on a second here.

This is about the difference in cultures between Cyclists and Motorized bikers. I find that I get snobbery from BOTH SIDES.

:bowdown: The Cyclists look down on people with motorized bikes because they don't respect people in poor health using the motor to get them around and think the whole idea violates the "pure" vision of a bicycle.

:bowdown: The Motorized Bikers look down on the Cyclists because they don't see the need for all that health driven mania and see it as another example of "political correctness" gone wild.

What I'm saying with the PINO acronym is that there is a middle ground meeting place that exists between the two extremes. The ideal motorized bike racing form would be some exact intersection of the pedal power of the bicycle and the motor power of the motors. Too much power in the motors and you have "Pedals In Name Only" (PINO - "Pee No") and have crossed over into the motorcycle category.

It's a legitimate acronym... it reflects the divide of the differing biking cultures.

One can be "pro motorized bike" and yet want the pedals to still matter.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2010
  8. AussieSteve

What I meant is that you're flogging a dead horse in that you have already got the point across. (I mean in both this thread and the 'Motorized Bike Racing In Arizona' thread.)

Out of interest, are Spooky Tooth supporting/sponsoring the 1000W electric race?

You're right about normal cyclists, I've struck that attitude a number of times, but I don't think their lack of respect is for people in 'poor health', in particular. In fact, if they knew that someone was riding an MB for health reasons, they'd probably be more tolerant.

9. SimpleSimon

To me, motored bikes are tools as well as toys. I absolutely would not be able to ride more than quite short distances on a pedal only driven trike, and cannot ride a bicycle at all anymore - muscle atrophy in my legs from severe diabetic neuropathy has left me with old man's "bird legs", but without the typical strength that such old men have.

I also see the best fit of these bikes as being "motor assisted", not as being "junior motorcycles". I have no use for lots of power, and feel quite strongly that speeds in excess of 30 mph on a bicycle are more than a bit foolish. Racing? Who needs it?

That's just my opinion, of course, and I realize many would disagree. To each his own, but when the "speed demons" build bikes that wildly violate the existing laws, I call foul - they are, by building and riding such, endangering this pastime for everyone in their selfishness.

10. AussieSteve

Yes, Simon, I agree 100%. I'm in the same boat, (emphysema).

I walked to and fro for shopping until it was impossible, then started using taxis, but found myself broke and almost housebound the rest of the time.

These bikes have given me basic transport again. No need to go too quick, and the more hoons there are out there the sooner we'll all be banned.

By the same token it's not so much the capability of the bike as how it is ridden.
    With shift kit, mine could do 70kph+, but I don't. 6th gear just gives me an overdrive so that I can idle along at 40kph once I'm up to speed, instead of revving the $*@^ out of the engine.
    Also, my accident a few months ago was due to high (standard) gearing on gravel. The shift kit allows me to idle along at below 5mph in first. If I had the shift-kit then, it wouldn't have happened.

11. SimpleSimon

Oh, I basically agree as regards having enough power to accomplish the goals in a safe, sane, responsible fashion, without over-stressing the engine. I think the fastest I've ever had the trike rolling was maybe 20 mph. As an upright trike conversion, 20 is fine on the straight and smooth, but cornering? Not happening at that speed. Around the neighborhood I occasionally have a kid running alongside, asking me questions. Admittedly, they soon tire out, so I generally stop to talk with them. Mostly I motor around at 10-12v mph, which for my needs and tastes is more than adequate.

I had planned to build myself a long distance touring tadpole, and hoped to do some extended tours with it. With the imminent kidney failure I am facing, that is a dead dream - long distance trike touring isn't compatible with regular dialysis.

So, I'm mostly just trying to help others achieve their dreams - by doing that I make them mine as well, and knowing I've helped them is about the closest I can get.

12. safe

safe Active Member

That's the basic assessment that does bring up the point of "who needs racing for these things?".

My "vision" on this topic has been evolving for four years now. If you allow too much power into the racing then it crosses into motorcycle territory and the pedals become useless. The pure Cyclists have a complete disdain for all things motorized and so they are of no help at this point. As I see it "if" the racing is to become something that might be an Olympic sport one day (like BMX recently did) then you need to have a significant athletic component to make it a real "sport". There will never be auto or motorcycle racing in the Olympics because there is no clear athletic component. (I like to think big about things) However, something like motocross is so physical that it could be an Olympic sport if it isn't already. (not sure)

I guess you can summorize the purpose of the acronym is to GIVE SOME STRENGTH to those that are struggling against public opinion and starting to think about limited powered ebike racing. I'm trying to give a language for the 1000 watt racer to legitimize himself against the much faster gas bikes and hyper active electric bikes.

Racing? It's still a "what is it" right now for motorized bikes... I'm trying to mold the language so that what is now perceived as "weak" is valued at "strong". Less power allowed for the motor means more power required of the rider... making it a real sport that actually COULD in theory one day become an Olympic sport. (they would regulate the heck out of the 1000 watt input limit so that you could not be off my more than 1%)

[​IMG]

13. AussieSteve

Still, Simon, you raise a valid point - these aren't racing machines, just simple crude transport.

I love the idea of a trike, too, but on these roads I wouldn't last 5 minutes. Gotta stay skinny to survive.

Sorry to hear about the kidney trouble. Another member and a friend, billpb1222, is in the same boat. He hasn't been well and I haven't heard for a bit so this is a reminder to say hello.

Sorry, safe, our posts got crossed.