painted engine

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by lotsa_mpg, May 29, 2007.

1. lotsa_mpg

lotsa_mpg Guest

I decided that before I install my latest engine, I'd throw a bit of black paint on it and polish the side covers. I also figured I'd try my hand at engraving 48cc on the clutch cover with my dremel tool. I kinda like the look of it so far except now that the covers are polished, fingerprints show up real bad on it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Guest

Guest Guest

Nice! How did you manage to keep the engraved part so nice?

3. locoWelder

locoWelder Guest

sweet ! I did mine the same way but I powder coated it and I'm going to sand it off the edge of each fin

4. azbill

azbill Active Member

nice job
    looks sweet
    if you polish it and spray some clear high heat paint I think the fingerprint prob will go away

5. OldPete

OldPete Guest

Good job on the engraving of 48cc.

Wipe down the cases with WD-40 and they will stay nice.
    Before long rides before road grit and tar get thrown up on the hot cylinder head. Spray a little Pam or similare product on the head. :shock:

Makes clean up super easy. Used to do that on all my air cooled road bikes.

6. lotsa_mpg

lotsa_mpg Guest

Well, it turned out ok for a first try.....but I'll need to drink less coffee before I attempt engraving free hand again. You can't go very deep in that stuff or you'll end up all the way thru. I just brush painted the red all over the engraved area, then waited three days for it to cure and sanded it off flush.

Pete

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Guest

Guest Guest

Yeah, but how'd ya' get the circle so round?

8. lotsa_mpg

lotsa_mpg Guest

Joe, I just placed a flat washer over the 48cc and c-clamped it more or less centered, then quickly whipped the dremel around the circumference of the washer. Kinda crudely done, but I didn't feel like paying a pro to do it.

Pete

9. Guest

Guest Guest

Sounds like pure common sense! Thanks.

10. iRide Customs

iRide Customs Member

It's the very nice simple things that can change the look of something so much. That is awesome!