Painted Grubee Skyhawk

Discussion in '2-Stroke Engines' started by Motocruiser, Mar 6, 2011.

1. Motocruiser

Motocruiser Member

I'm new to motoredbiking. This is my second post. Just wanted to see what you all thought of my paint job on the Skyhawk. Seeing that I want to create a race inspired looking MB I thought about adding some numbers as well. What do you think?

Attached Files:

2. Fletch

Fletch Member

looks good. What kind of engine enamel did you use? Di you paint the air filter or happen to match? i see you have the new version of the CNS. Have you gotten a chance to compare it to the old one? Did the engine come black? If so, did you sand down and prep the edges of the cooling fins before you painted them red?

3. Motocruiser

Motocruiser Member

I used Dupli-Color engine enamel, Ford red. I didn't match the airfilter cover I painted it, as the cheap plastic looks more pink than red. The engine came black. I Prepped with a light sand on the head, fins, clutch cover, and heat shield. This is my first Engine so I haven't had the pleasure of Comparing the new CNS carb. to the NT carb. I'm still waiting on my American Flyer, it won't be here until April. Thought I'd take this waiting period to upgrade the engine. I'm going to replace all the hardware bolts, add an expansion chamber, new air filter.

4. motorpsycho

motorpsycho Active Member

If you're going to add an expansion chamber, then why did you waste time painting the heat shield on the muffler?
    or, are you going to use that muffler on the end of the chamber?
    Are you going to go with a new high flow k&n style air filter?
    if so, again, why did you waste time painting the stock air filter cover?

I think your engine looks great and you did a great job on the painting. I's the little details like this that will make your bike / engine stand out from the crowd.

5. shell shock

shell shock Member

this is very nice work. i got a question for you. how did you manage to paint the fins without hitting the jug portion? did you just mask it off with tape or something.

keep on goin
    SS

6. Motocruiser

Motocruiser Member

@MotorPsycho: I will be running stock for a while that's the reason for painting the things I wanted. Time I have, but I have to wait for the money to come. I thought I might use the stock exhaust on the end of the expansion pipe. Any other suggestions?

@Shell Shock: I used a 1" sponge brush to paint the fins. It worked fairly well but in the future I might use an art brush. Or you can try the art brush and tell me what you think?!?! Cheers!!!

7. shell shock

shell shock Member

right on man., keep it rollin, post up a vid. i wanna see that red beast roar ^_^

8. motorpsycho

9. Motocruiser

Motocruiser Member

@motorpsycho:
    What options do i have for new muffler tips? Any suggestions/experience?

10. shell shock

shell shock Member

from my experience, as of stock muffler tips, you have two options with these kits, the one with two screws and a flat bottom and the one with a single bolt that is curved. is that what you were asking? just got in from a ride and i think i got frost bite, so my head isnt 100% as of this post XP hope it helps regardless.

SS

11. Motocruiser

Motocruiser Member

I meant for the end of an expansion chamber.

12. shell shock

shell shock Member

...oh.. ehem.. er.. i knew that XP. not sure, though i heard the stock ones are good.

13. motorpsycho

the only options that i know of are:
    A. modify the stock muffler/baffle
    B. buy a stinger muffler/baffle from sick bike parts
    C. buy a cheap lawnmower muffler and adapt it to fit
    D. find a baffle from an older 2 stroke dirt bike from the late 70's- early 80's. Dirtbike baffles from the late 70's - early 80's are a lot smaller than ones from the mid 80's on up. I have a baffle from a 1989 Honda cr 80 and it's huge.
    I remember having a 1978 suzuki rm 125, and the baffle on it was pretty small.

14. Motocruiser

Motocruiser Member

15. motorpsycho

that might be a lot bigger than what it looks like in the pics.
    I don't think the flange will be the same.
    I'm not sure that this pipe would be tuned for the rpm range of one of these little motors.
    a cr 80 will rev 10 times higher than one of these motors.
    I really have no idea if it would work or not.

16. shell shock

shell shock Member

and with a price tag of 150 + s/h and taxes. i wouldnt think our good friend motocruiser would want to take that risk

SS