Painting "kit" tanks, applying emblems and lettering

mystic-chris

Local time
6:26 PM
Even though the typical "kit tank" has a pretty nice shape, the fact that most people tend to leave the stock black finish on these tanks -- no matter what color their bike's frame is -- just makes these bikes shout KIT!

So when I recently built my first MB, I decided that my tank was going to match my cruiser's white frame. I considered having an autobody shop put a serious professional white finish on the tank. But because the surface area of a kit tank is so small and nicely smooth (and because I'm a died-in-the-wool DIY guy), I decided that I'd try the paint job myself with "rattle cans." I did some research online, and found a detailed explanation of this subject on a motorcycle forum. I had to buy a variety of ultra-fine sandpapers, spray primer, Krylon gloss spray paint, rubbing compound and polishing compound. And I had to be very patient in observing the prescribed waiting times between steps. (And, the use of typical car wax will have to wait for a couple of months.) But the end result is all I had hoped for. Here's a link to those "rattle can" spray paint instructions: http://tinyurl.com/rattlecan

Then, I wanted to add a bit more originality and subtle customization to my MB. I came up with the name "Pistone-Pedali." That's the Italian singular of "piston," and the plural for "pedals." And it's a very literal description of these machines, in the language of a country that's long been nuts about bicycles, as well as motorcycles. I did some more online research, and found an excellent source of vinyl lettering that allows you to easily design and create your lettering projects on their web site. Within an hour of choosing my typeface and design and placing my order, these guys sent a confirming email saying that my tank emblems had been made, and that they'd be shipped via Priority Mail that same day! Two days later, I received them. The site is: http://doityourselflettering.com/

Attached is a closeup of my tank, and a full view of my bike.

Attachments

• pistone-closeup.jpg
    pistone-closeup.jpg
    109 KB · Views: 582
  • pistone-pedali-web.jpg
    pistone-pedali-web.jpg
    126.8 KB · Views: 566
right on!!!
finally someone else who sees things the way i see them.
stock black tanks scream "i'm a kit!"
here's what i did to my kit gas tank.
I sprayed the tank with metallic white laquer, followed by one coat of clear laquer with pearl dust in it, and then 4 more coats of straight clear laquer. wetsanded and buffed.
I did the paint job in 2009, and this past spring I had my friend throw some pinstripes on the tank.
hhr37.jpg

hhr36.jpg

here's the bike and tank before the pinstripes were put in it, so you can see how the colors tie together.
low3.jpg

I'll have to take some new pics showing the striped tank on the bike.

Nice!

Hey Motorpsycho,

That's a great-looking tank and bike, and your friend's pinstriping skills are outrageous! I also know a guy who does freehand pinstriping, and it's amazing to me how geometrically-perfect he can be with a paintbrush on an irregular surface.

Right from the start, I thought that WHITE was the right color for my MB. When choosing a color, I think that it's easy to default to the dramatic look of BLACK, and many vehicles look great in black. But there's just something about white; although I'm not sure what. Probably just that it's unexpected on vehicles like ours -- kind of like a hot, trashy girl in a "wedding-gown-white" string bikini, maybe!

Since I recently built my MB and have been riding it around my coastal-Connecticut town, I've had several people ask me if I'd build one for them. So I'm thinking about getting set up for a sideline business. I've started messing around with some advertising ideas, and I've attached something that I came up with today for the sure-to-be-a-success "Pistone-Pedali" brand of MB!

Thanks for writing.

Chris

Attachments

• pistone-pedale-ad-web.jpg
    pistone-pedale-ad-web.jpg
    183.3 KB · Views: 494
Those are great looking tanks... I've decided to put a friction drive on my wifes pink and white schwinn lulu bike.. I'm wondering what the best way to paint the plastic pieces of her drive kit would be.. She's all about the look of her bike.

for painting plastic, you will need to get an adhesion promotor. this is available in spray cans by duplicolor, and it's basically a clear primer that will help the paint stick to plastic. you spray on the adhesion promoter, and then the paint over the top of it.
above all, CLEAN the plastic VERY well before you do anything because if the plastic isn't 100% clean and free of oil, the adhesion promoter won't stick.
even the oil from your fingers will cause the adhesion promoter and paint not to stick.

Thanks loads for the tip on painting plastic.. I'll paint it b4 I even assemble it. What's best to clean the plastic with b4 applying the promoter?

a good wax / grease remover is a good choice. this is availble at auto parts stores that sell automotive paint. it's sometimes called prep-sol.
I think if you read the can of the promoter, it will tell you what to clean the plastic with.
sometimes, good old laquer thinner is a great way to clean things, but it will not get along with some plastics.(it'll melt certain plastics)
Mineral spirits is also good, and sometimes you can get away with using 90% rubbing alcohol.
I have always had good luck using 90% rubbing alcohol, and mineral spirits, but again if you use mineral spirits, make sure it wil not harm the plastic. Usually it will be fine, especially if it's an hdpe (high density polyethylene) type of plastic (like what cas cans are made out of).
I'm not an expert on this subject, but i do know how to paint.
the way to an excellent paint job is 80% in the prep of the material before you paint.

my problem with the tanks is that stupid ridge sticking out all the way around the tank.....

If I can figure out how to get rid of that....then I won't have to go custom....

Back