painting my engine

Paint

Hey 2stroke,
As I'm sure you've seen, some engines come painted from the factory. Anything you put on the engine will hold in heat, but a coat of paint is not going to hold enough to make any difference. Use engine paint and not too thick.
Big Red.

i used a paint designed for the inside of stoves and grills. it went on nice and looks cool the real test is how it holds up..

use hi temp engine enamel that's available in spray cans from auto parts stores.
The major key is surface prep tho.
Make sure that you get ALL of the oil and grease off of the areas to be painted.
You can use a solvent like brake-clean to spray the parts down before you paint. let the parts air dry thoroughly before you paint.
After you get them clean don't touch them with your bare hands because the oils from your skin can cause the paint not to stick.
once the paint is dry, start the engine, let it build some heat and then shut if off.
let the engine completely cool and the paint will be cured.
I painted the jug on my engine 2 years ago and this is how it looks today.
cc.jpg

whats wrong with this picture?

1. pepsi
2. clean engine.

wtf? its cleaner than a new one!

paint em black for two reasons...

cus they arent normally this clean and...high temp paint on a head will still turn blackbrown :) run em at 9000rpm and the cylinder fins down to the transfer ports will turn brown too... so maybe hi temp brown paint? knowing my luck that one will catch on fire and burn me nose hairs '.'

ha ha, it's too clean huh?
well, you'd hate to see the engines in my cars then, because they are spotless and kept that way.
I'm sorry but i'm a "clean freak" and i can not stand to see dirty engines or dirty bikes.

what's wrong with pepsi???
you saw the pepsi, but you didn't see the toilet plunger in the background???

Last edited:
oh i saw it and was thinking of the comment "using pepsi to unblock the loo?" :p
just didnt wanna push the line tooooo far :p

nothing wrong with cleanliness as long as it isnt impacting on ones health... :)

its just weird seeing a ht so clean :confused:

Engines

Dang Moto, I'd be afraid to ride it. Would'nt wanna put nary a scratch on such a purty machine. Compared to your bike, Mine look like they were rode hard and put away wet.---- OH YEAH, They were.
Big Red.

A thin coat of black paint, and especially a flat black paint, will help the fins radiate heat more effectively.

Last edited:
Back