Painting the Honda Engine

Discussion in 'Painting, Welding, Bending and Gas Tanks' started by motor puzzle, Jun 26, 2008.

1. motor puzzle

motor puzzle Guest

Just go my new Honda GXH50!! Thanks Houghmade for the link to small engine warehouse.

I definitely need do something about the red cover. It looks too much like a lawn mower engine as it is.

Who has painted the red cover, what did you use and how is it working?

Thanks.

2. HoughMade

HoughMade Guest

I have mine painted...rather primed- have ridden a few times with it primed, no problems yet.

I used a heat gun to remove the stickers. Then I wet sanded the cover to remove the grain. I used 320 grit followed by 400 grit. I then primed with rustoleum plastic primer- especially made to bond with plastic and claims it can take any top coat. I wet sanded smooth that primer (couple of times) and now I have dupli-color self etching primer over the plastic primer. I will be wet-sanding that before the paint which will be acrylic enamel.

I know MasterLink has painted his and it looks good. Search for his pics.

3. darwin

darwin Well-Known Member

The red honda matches my red bike and looks coooool.

4. HoughMade

HoughMade Guest

Here is mine- finished- after being smoothed- paint laid down well.

Attached Files:

5. ZnsaneRyder

ZnsaneRyder Member

NICE!!! I love the older look of the bike and the white tires! Also how you show the HP of your engine!

6. HoughMade

HoughMade Guest

Thanks- on the side of the engine, I have the engine size in ccs- still use a fraction, rather than decimal, though. The front has the engine size in cubic inches.

Attached Files: