Pant cuff suggestion....

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by bluegoatwoods, Apr 16, 2009.

1. bluegoatwoods

bluegoatwoods Well-Known Member

I should have thought of mentioning this before.

Most of us will be familiar with the pant leg "cinchers" from bicycle shops. They're often reflective with a piece of Velcro at the ends to fasten them around your ankle and keep your pant leg out of your chain. They're nice. But they usually cost 6 to 8 bucks, they're cheaply made and don't last long and when one of them breaks (all too soon) you have to make a trip to the bike shop. And maybe find that they don't have any or that the ones they have are shoddy.

To get around this I got myself a roll of Velcro. It's two-sided stuff, the rough part on one side, the soft part on another. I think it's 25 or 30 feet. Smaller than a large pancake, though a bit thicker. Fits in the tool bag with a pair of scissors easily. I got mine at Harbor Freight for, I think, $6.95.

Now my cuffs are always fastened. If I lose one I just cut another piece off and it can be used for other miscellaneous fastening jobs.

Definitely a handy item to carry.

2. HoughMade

HoughMade Guest

I suppose that will work....if you just have to wear pants when you're riding.

3. jared3377

jared3377 Member

I agree with HoughMade--I usually ride pants-less. The neighbors are not too thrilled, but it feels so good that I can't help it!!! (hardy-har)

But seriously, that's a really good idea, BGW, and thanks!

4. bluegoatwoods

I might've been inclined to ride pants-less.

But they tarred and feathered the last guy who tried that in these parts.

So...........not just now :)

5. AussieJester

AussieJester Member

dooz it 1970z stylin...tuck the pant leg into your sock hahaa...

6. ZnsaneRyder

ZnsaneRyder Member

7. bluegoatwoods

Znsanerider, shame on you!!!

You should warn people when you link to a photo like that....

I'm still gagging. It'll probably last half the night.
    :)

8. Alaskavan

Alaskavan Guest

Who has time to mess with cuffs? I just ignore them and they go away.

9. Pablo

Pablo Motored Bikes Sponsor

Holey carp I hadn't eaten break'ast yet.....put something on that thang.

10. SimpleSimon

SimpleSimon Active Member

I bought a roll of 3/4 wide elastic at a fabric store, and a card of 3/4" velcro squares - both together cost me $2.48, with sales tax. Cut a length of the relastic, then ironed the two side of a velcro square to it using stitch witchery fabric iron-on cement. I have enough stuff to make 5 more of these straps, and the first one works quite well to secure my baggy legged (gotta have baggy legs to allow room for my leg brace on the right side) pants. Won't wear shorts while biking - I've lost plenty of skin over the years, and really dislike road rash. Besides, the knee high support stocking I have too wear under the brace is kinda ugly.

11. RogerS

RogerS Member

Cut rubber band strips about 3/4 inch wide from an old motorcycle inner tube.

12. bluegoatwoods

Now that you mention it, I have used rubber bands before. Not bad, but you need to keep a supply handy.

I've also used strips of elastic and tied them around my cuffs. Not too bad, either. At least it'll do in a pinch.

I'm starting to think of using this velcro to replace all of the hose clamps on my bike that are holding wires and stuff like that in place. On a black bike, in particular, that's bound to make a neater looking setup.

13. AussieJester

AussieJester Member

When you mentioned elastic bands it twigged an idea...i use hair ties (i have very long hair lol) they could be used they are elastic wrapped with cotton material last longer than lacky bands and are cheap at the supermarket for a packet -)

14. seanhan

seanhan Member

Remember

In the 70's when Bell Bottoms were in style !!!!
    I used rubber bands on my pant legs..
    By the time i got home all the circulation to my foot was cut off !!!
    I also rember trying to get pants out of the sprocket, and not having use of the leg that was cought.. Kinda hopping around on one foot !!!!
    Seems Funny now !!!!
    :grin5:

15. SirJakesus

SirJakesus Guest

I've always just tucked all or the inside of that pant leg into my sock... It looks weird but works well..... and I always have socks on so I never have to go searching for some strap to wrap around my ankles.

16. seanhan

seanhan Member

Yea sirjakesus I did the sock thing also but my socks got all streached out after a while.
    Must have been K-mart socks !!!

17. 5-7HEAVEN

5-7HEAVEN Guest

How about a...chainguard?:idea:

I brought down my older brother's bike from the rafters in 1958. It had probably been stored there since 1951 when he moved on to girls and sports.

The first thing I did was remove the fenders...and chainguard. From that day on the bike always ate my pants leg.:whistling:

18. seanhan

seanhan Member

Chainguards dont look COOL !!!!!

19. bluegoatwoods

Yeah, but chainguards are only found on one speeds. And even then, there are other things to grab onto your pant cuff. Even if it's only a rubbing thing, it's annoying.

AussieJester mentioned pony tail holders. I think I know what you mean there. My daughters use something that meets the same description called "Scrunchees" (I think)
    I'll bet they'd work fine, but maybe they'd get stretched out quickly stretching them over your shoes.

Which brings up a related pet-peeve. I have a rainsuit that is very good. The pants are coverall style. In fact, I'm wearing them right now. I just came in from an early morning rain ride. They do the job just fine. But the cuff only zips up to about the height of my calf. It means that I must take my boots on an off to take the coveralls on and off. I've looked and looked and I just can't find any that zip all the way up the leg. Why is that too much to ask? Anyone else bugged by this?

(I'll make one guess about this; I probably could find just the thing I want. But from some place that'll charge me $150.00 or so.)