parts bike

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by crabdance, Aug 14, 2008.

1. crabdance

crabdance Member

Hi everyone,

Just wanted to let everyone know that I found me a parts bike that I can get for 10 or 15 dollars. There's a guy down the street that has it leaning up against his storage shed and I asked him about it the other day so I think I'm going to buy it. I bent another back rim so it will be worth it just for that.

I have a hint/tip for anyone about the chain tensioner. If you can get it to go down instead of up you will save you a lot of grief if it ever gets loose. That's how I killed my current rim. The tensioner gave way and went into the spokes when I was trying to start it. (just the pedaling part). So if you can point your tensioner down you might save yourself some heartache. I don't know if all bikes can do this but I saw a picture of one that was setup like that.

2. JE

JE Guest

I welded my tensioner bracket onto the frame to fix that problem.Also get rid of the plastic wheel and replaced it with a roller blad wheel that I cut a groove in.It has roller bearings and helped quiet thing down doing that.
  3. crabdance

crabdance Member

cool way to do things JE. Sounds like you got everything going good!
  4. rjwenzel

rjwenzel New Member

Roller Blade?

Dude! That roller blade idea is cool. Could you post pictures? I had trouble with my tensioner and I tightened it down and then tapped a small screw into the arm to hold it from twisting. However, I REALLY don't trust it for what I want to eventually do with this (ride to work 1-3 times a week at 40miles one-way). I've been thinking about a sprocket but I wanted bearings. The roller blade wheel sounds ideal!