Personal Sponsorship

Discussion in 'Forum Help & Suggestions' started by augidog, Jun 30, 2008.

1. augidog

augidog Banned

since i retired as MBc-Admin i've felt more free to voice my opinions about the social-aspects of internet politics & competition, and how it affects the movement.

if this place ever loses a sponsor because a member speaks up, that would be unfortunate, but i'll make up the difference out of my own pocket.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2008

2. Tom

Tom Active Member

I am not too worried about it. If a sponsor leaves because someone says something, it is their own loss. It is my responsibility to manage the sponsorship and if a sponsor decides to leave, it is nobody's fault but their own.

3. augidog

augidog Banned

:)

how can you NOT love this place...tom (and the new crew), you've done, and are doing, a fantastic job :cool:

4. Zemus DE

Zemus DE Guest

Oh there will be more vendors here, trust me ;). Some companies may be having enough trouble keeping up with orders to justify making more sales. lol. just some food for thought(my phrase of the day).

5. augidog

augidog Banned

i chawed on that fer a moment and came up with this...

oh yeah i agree...some sellers are finding themselves quite popular. i think those stimulus payments stimulated something, alright ;)

so, do we agree that there's room for many (reputable sources of epa-engines) in this market, and that there's no need to sweat (or publicly comment on) what someone else is up to? one of the things i've always liked about this place...sellers can politely expound on their wares, they cannot badmouth or otherwise negatively comment about other sellers, only the consumer can do that at MBc, it keeps everyone honest and civil. most of the time anyway :cool:

i had originally brought up the topic because as a member of this community i took exception to something i saw that i felt affected the community, it had nothing to do with selling. i discussed it with the person, it was resolved...all coolness, and a done deal. i didn't expect this new "twist."

Last edited: Jul 2, 2008
  6. Marktur

Marktur Member

I love this place...I'm like a forum junkee now, but just this one.
    People should be able to speak freely, as long as it's appropriate - no vulgar words, no hate stuff, and if the FCC thinks it's OK on the airwaves, it should also be OK here.

Vendors/sponsors that will drop out because of certain topics (that abide by my guidelines above) are wrong in doing so, and it shows their very narrow-mindedness.

This country was built for freedom of speech, and just because someone has a couple of buck to throw around doesn't mean that they should become the content-police.

That's my $0.02

PS. I would gladly donate a couple of bucks to help out if needed. I'm not rich, but I sure spend a lot of time at this site, and that's worth something. Maybe you can accept donations and send out stickers, instead of giving them away for nothing? Or maybe organize regional rallies...small fee to participate, to help drive the site.

I am very sensitive to the time and effort required to run a site like this. It's a thankless and moneyless job most of the time...so I will say THANK YOU to all of the moderators, PAST and present. :)

7. I'm gonna stay away from this one for we have enough drama in our lives but there are many other reasons for a sponsor to pull out and the opinion of others is hardly a reason.
    But this is none of my business. This is between Tom and the sponsors.

8. Marktur

Marktur Member

Who pulled out?

wait - the sprocket guy, right?

Someone PM me and let me know about replacing it with a banner from one of my companies. I know I don't sell motorbike stuff, but I'd like to help.

9. augidog

augidog Banned

well, i'm happy to see the topic take such a positive turn, so i guess i'm glad i spoke up.

and, no, i was not speaking about anyone in particular but i saw a potential problem and wanted to let the group know how i felt. i'd happily personally help support the place if needed, that was my main point.

i've been keeping my gebe-rep sig out of topics like this, ("golden eagle the company" is a sponsor, not me...i know that's slowly changing and am aware of my new ethical responsibilities) and i whole-heartedly believe that MBc belongs to the consumer. you'll note that in tech/mech matters if it isn't gebe-related i stay out of it, you'll also note i don't have a commercial link in my sig but a discrete message on how to get help...but i do feel that when it comes to community matters i am welcome to take part in the discussion.

nope, i'm not in charge of anything around here, but y'all better believe i love MBc as much today as when i first jumped in to help oh-so-long-ago.

i apologize to anyone who may have misunderstood my original message, i got sidetracked for a moment there...as i said, i'm happy to see it go positive again.

mark, i believe there's a "contact us" (bottom of main page) option about sponsorship...as a member of the community i appreciate your offer :cool:

10. Marktur

Marktur Member

Augi - nothing wrong with posting your company info, IMHO. You're doing everyone a service BUT your company by not identifying them. Now that I know who you represent, I actually feel more inclined to check into Gebe...all I hear is nasty stuff about a guy named Don. Maybe YOU should be the speaker in the public eye, eh? It certainly wouldn't be a conflict or anything, being that you're not running this board...help out your company, make sure you have a job for the holidays! :)

11. augidog

augidog Banned

uh-oh...are we on the same page here?

gebe=golden eagle=dennis
    grube=don grube

by agreement with Den i am more of a service-presence here than a sales-presence.

12. Marktur

Marktur Member

aha! See that? You really SHOULD post it! :)

13. augidog

augidog Banned

hehe...but i do...just as discretely as i can, tho :)

did you do that on purpose? you fooler! :p

14. HI Marktur and all,

Since it was brought up....I really didn't leave per se....I am still a vendor but I guess since the sponsorship rates went up as a result of additional traffic on the site It ended up being not economically viable to continue with the ad to the left (I did get a few sales as a result of the ad to the left but not enough volume to even pay for the ad itself)....I
    am still on eBay and Myspace etc....and may in the future do the ad again to the left but
    my other work is keeping me pretty busy now (I run a lawn care / landscaping company)....The Bike performance parts and sprockets are a second line of business for me and is great for winter work when the Lawns slow down....It has been growing though and that's good for at least paying for the equipment to make the parts.
    Thanks to all who have bought from me and who are still interested in performance parts!
    Andrew

15. augidog

augidog Banned

hi andy :)

yup, i saw your name come up, but hope you know this wasn't one little bit about you...it's good to know you're MB-active and from what i've seen of your work i'm sure everyone's been satisfied...

now, please go design me a coaster-drum 12g 36h rear-hub...real shoes...sealed bearings...are we there yet? :p

:cool:

16. srdavo

srdavo Active Member

always has...always will!! :cool:

17. Tom

Tom Active Member

There are a million reasons why someone wouldn´t be a sponsor anymore, so we have to make sure not to jump to any conclusions.