Photo Of Those Elusive Handlebars:

Discussion in 'Whizzer Motorized Bicycles' started by Hal the Elder, Feb 21, 2009.

1. Hal the Elder

Hal the Elder Member

Hello:

I was finally able to present a picture of those handlebars I've admired and used since they were popular and available in the early 1950's.

I photographed this picture from an online image on my monitor screen...it was the best I could do with a hand-held camera and no flash.

These EXACT handlebars are the ones I've been looking for everywhere, with no luck!

HAL

Attached Files:

2. skyl4rk

skyl4rk Guest

3. Hal the Elder

Hal the Elder Member

None of those are exactly like the ones in my picture.

I've looked through the online catalogs of Wald and Niagara Cycle Works many times and could not match the bars in my picture.

But thanks for your help!

HAL

4. cooltoy

cooltoy Member

Attached Files:

5. Hal the Elder

Hal the Elder Member

Yep...too Tall!

Hal

6. skyl4rk

skyl4rk Guest

7. Hal the Elder

Hal the Elder Member

NO...THE WALD 880's HAVE TOO MUCH RISE.

The bars have to look just like the ones on the Whizzer in my photo.

HAL

8. Hal the Elder

Hal the Elder Member

Handlebars:

You know...as difficult as it's becoming to find handlebars to match those on the bike in my thread picture, I'm thinkin' that the bars on the new NE-R and Ambassador come pretty close to my ideal, with the Ambassador's bars having a bit too much rise, but having possibilities.

Would I be able to buy NE-R or Ambassador handlebars from a dealer or from the Texas HQ?

Hal

9. Nuttsy

Nuttsy Member

Hal,
    Would the h'bar on the left bike in pic work for you?

Attached Files:

10. Hal the Elder

Hal the Elder Member

Hey Nuttsy:

I'm sorry, but they just don't have the shape of the ones on that Montana Whizzer, and I must have those exact bars!

Thanks for trying to help...
    HAL

11. KilroyCD

KilroyCD Active Member

12. Quenton Guenther

Quenton Guenther Motored Bikes Sponsor

13. Hal the Elder

Hal the Elder Member

Hey Kilroy & Quenton:

Yes, I've been looking at those 9" Wald # 870's for a few weeks now...they could be a possibility, but their rise LOOKS a bit higher than the Montana Whizzer's, which I would GUESS to have a 7" to 8" rise.

As for the 6.5" Wald # 1066 bars...there's only one website that has an actual photo of them, and they look much better than the grotesque sketch on the other vendor's sites.

I'd really like to see both pairs side-by side.

The new Whizzer NE-R and the Ambassador have interesting-looking bars, but they use dual clamps instead of the single gooseneck attach point on the NE-5 and earlier bikes. The Ambassador's bars look to have a 9" or 10" rise, and the NE-R a bit less.

Do I appear overly picky in my quest for my "dream handlebars"?

You bet I am!

HAL

Last edited: Feb 22, 2009
  14. Hal the Elder

Hal the Elder Member

Hey Quenton:

QUENTON:

Here's where you can see a picture of what those Wald # 1066 handlebars you suggested REALLY look like, with an actual photograph instead of that dumb sketch:

GO TO:

https://waldsports.com/index.cfm/handlebars.html-22k

Then click on: "Accessories"

Then click on: "Handlebars"

Then select the HI-RISE window,

Then click on: 1066

I must say they look pretty close to those on the Montana Whizzer...what do you think?

HAL

15. KilroyCD

KilroyCD Active Member

Hal, I was looking at those Wald 1066 bars as well, but realized early on that they aren't the ones. They're for a kid's bike, as they're only 19.5" wide.

16. Hal the Elder

Hal the Elder Member

Hey Kilroy:

The relatively narrow 19.5" width of those #1066 bars was troubling me too...perhaps the Wald # 870's would be the better choice with their 24" width, although their 9" rise might be excessive as a match for the Montana Whizzer.

I don't know...

HAL

17. Hal the Elder

Hal the Elder Member

Handlebars:

YO KILROY:

I took your advice and ordered those Wald# 870 bars.

I ordered 'em from Niagara Cycle Works in N.Y., to whom I had previously sent a picture of the Montana Whizzer, asking them what bars they stocked that most closely resembled those in the picture.

They said the #870's would be a close match, so I ordered 'em today!

Thanks for your help in making up my mind!

HAL

18. KilroyCD

KilroyCD Active Member

You're welcome. I hope they're a close match.

19. Hal the Elder

Hal the Elder Member

The 870 Handlebars Arrived Yesterday.

They'll be OK, but they're still not a perfect match to the Montana Whizzer's bars.

They don't have the 90-degree bend from the rise to the grip portion. I tried to bend the ends to a more acute angle, but the bars are too stiff!

I called a pipe bender and he said it would require a tooling setup to bend the bars the way I wanted, and the charge would be $75!

I only paid $9.67 for 'em from Niagara Cycle Works. (plus shipping, which was another $9)

It looks like I'll mount 'em on Oscar, when I finish installing the milled head and the re-jetted carb!

Hal

20. Nuttsy

Nuttsy Member

Even if you could bend them on the cheap, you'd probably crack the chrome.