Photo Of Those Elusive Handlebars:

Hey Kilroy & Quenton:

Yes, I've been looking at those 9" Wald # 870's for a few weeks now...they could be a possibility, but their rise LOOKS a bit higher than the Montana Whizzer's, which I would GUESS to have a 7" to 8" rise.

As for the 6.5" Wald # 1066 bars...there's only one website that has an actual photo of them, and they look much better than the grotesque sketch on the other vendor's sites.

I'd really like to see both pairs side-by side.

The new Whizzer NE-R and the Ambassador have interesting-looking bars, but they use dual clamps instead of the single gooseneck attach point on the NE-5 and earlier bikes. The Ambassador's bars look to have a 9" or 10" rise, and the NE-R a bit less.

Do I appear overly picky in my quest for my "dream handlebars"?

You bet I am!

HAL

Last edited:
Hey Quenton:

QUENTON:

Here's where you can see a picture of what those Wald # 1066 handlebars you suggested REALLY look like, with an actual photograph instead of that dumb sketch:

GO TO:

https://waldsports.com/index.cfm/handlebars.html-22k

Then click on: "Accessories"

Then click on: "Handlebars"

Then select the HI-RISE window,

Then click on: 1066

I must say they look pretty close to those on the Montana Whizzer...what do you think?

HAL

Hal, I was looking at those Wald 1066 bars as well, but realized early on that they aren't the ones. They're for a kid's bike, as they're only 19.5" wide.

Hey Kilroy:

The relatively narrow 19.5" width of those #1066 bars was troubling me too...perhaps the Wald # 870's would be the better choice with their 24" width, although their 9" rise might be excessive as a match for the Montana Whizzer.

I don't know...

HAL

Handlebars:

YO KILROY:

I took your advice and ordered those Wald# 870 bars.

I ordered 'em from Niagara Cycle Works in N.Y., to whom I had previously sent a picture of the Montana Whizzer, asking them what bars they stocked that most closely resembled those in the picture.

They said the #870's would be a close match, so I ordered 'em today!

Thanks for your help in making up my mind!

HAL

YO KILROY:

I took your advice and ordered those Wald# 870 bars.

I ordered 'em from Niagara Cycle Works in N.Y., to whom I had previously sent a picture of the Montana Whizzer, asking them what bars they stocked that most closely resembled those in the picture.

They said the #870's would be a close match, so I ordered 'em today!

Thanks for your help in making up my mind!

HAL

You're welcome. I hope they're a close match.

The 870 Handlebars Arrived Yesterday.

They'll be OK, but they're still not a perfect match to the Montana Whizzer's bars.

They don't have the 90-degree bend from the rise to the grip portion. I tried to bend the ends to a more acute angle, but the bars are too stiff!

I called a pipe bender and he said it would require a tooling setup to bend the bars the way I wanted, and the charge would be $75!

I only paid $9.67 for 'em from Niagara Cycle Works. (plus shipping, which was another $9)

It looks like I'll mount 'em on Oscar, when I finish installing the milled head and the re-jetted carb!

Hal

Back