Picked up this at a yard sale, anyone know anything about it?

Discussion in '2-Stroke Engines' started by AnvilBlockForge, Apr 20, 2013.

1. Picked up this motor at a yard sale for 5 bucks. There's no rust and it turns. Everything looks clean, just needs a new primer and fuel lines and the pull start is missing.
    There's no markings of any sort
    Anyone know hat kind of motor it is just from looking?
    if not, where can I get the pull start for this?
    And it has some sort of gearbox off the left of it?
    And what looks to be a speedometer wire and tach wire, not sure what the wires are. But that's what I'm guessing.
    Any info would help. I'd like to make it a pully drive, anyone know where to buy v-belt pulleys for 2 strokes?
    Sorry for all the questions, for 5 bucks I just couldn't resist xP

Attached Files:

2. rawly old

rawly old Member

Maybe from a self propelled lawn mower? Looks like sumpin off a
    homemade '60s go cart? Is that engine cover metal or plastic?

3. It's plastic. You think it's that old? I'm going to take the "gearbox" apart tomorrow, I'll post pics of it when I do. I'm interested as to what motor it is!

4. BigBlue

BigBlue Active Member

5. rawly old

rawly old Member

I think Blue nailed it. If the cover"s plastic it's
    an early 49 cc. getting it running could be a
    real challenge.
    I once could have had an old Whizzer engine
    for free at an estate sale, but I didn't know what
    it was 'til after the fact. Drat!

6. Yea, that looks like it xP Now I gotta track down the pull start for it! With the gearbox, should be a good little motor. Which it should run, my rule has always been if the motor's not locked up, it will run.

EDIT: Whoa whoa whoa, in that ebay listing it says electric start?? Where do I plug this 12V to test that theory, cause that would be shwweet

Last edited: Apr 21, 2013
  7. BigBlue

BigBlue Active Member

It is the terminal I circled in red. This is where the positive lead attaches. Be aware that a lot of people remove the starter/alternator because they tend to stop working, either the brushes need replacing or the coils crap out. Just make sure everything moves freely before putting some juice on the starter/alternator.
    WP_20130420_024.jpg

Good Luck,

Chris
    AKA: BigBlue

8. Thanks! I'll clean the inside before I try it. A 49cc Electric start on my next build would be awesome!

Have any idea to change the toothed gear to a V Belt?

9. Cleaned everything out, the gearbox had some rust that was taken off by some WD-40 and a wire brush, and the flywheel had some spider webs and junk. Cleaned it all out, sprayed some WD-40 into the cylinder, let it soak, gave it a few turns and let it soak then drained it. Came out clean. Put a few drops of gas and a spark plug in and put a battery to it and the electric start works and it turned over and gave me 2 or 3 revolutions!
    For 5 bucks can't beat it!

10. rawly old

rawly old Member

Oh sure, now you'll havta bild sumpin widdit.

11. BigBlue

BigBlue Active Member

Glad that you got it to turn over with the electric starter. Make sure you don't give it juice too long or you'll burn out the coils. Should wire in a starter relay. Simple starter diagram that will help. I know it's small, but that is all I could find on Google images:

Starterdiagram.jpg

Good Luck,

Chris
    AKA: BigBlue

12. birdmannn101

birdmannn101 Member

That engine is not 49cc even though they say it is. I rebuilt one and made it 49cc with parts from Glen at Me Fast. for $48 including shipping. You can get the pull start there.

Dan

13. Big Red

Big Red Active Member

Goped engine

And the white plug connection is for the kill switch. I use pretty much this same engine on two of my bikes. A tadpole recumbent (Tri-Baby), and my newest build I call FrankenPed. A big wheeled goped. Heck, I had the stuff so I just threw it together. I just took off the engine cover, Otherwise it looks just like your engine. Both started out as regular Gopeds. I just couldn't leave it alone. I HAD to build SOMETHING out of them. This one is hitting 30mph or better, I gotta get it clocked.
    Big Red.

Attached Files:

14. MotorBicycleRacing

MotorBicycleRacing Well-Known Member

it's off a scooter and that gearbox has a 5 to 1 reduction but the
    kicker is that it reverses the direction of rotation.

IE: Turns your CCW motor to a clockwise direction so you
    have to drive on the right side of your bike.

15. Yea, I'll pick threw my stuff, I'm pretty sure I have a starter solenoid off a tiller
    So what cc is it?
    How does it perform?
    And thats good to note, no biggy to make a right side drive

16. Big Red

Big Red Active Member

Can you say "jackshaft"? They are not that hard to make.
    Big Red.

17. I used one on my first build, don't want to on my second. Trying to make it a belt drive and less complicated