Picked up this beauty for $5

Discussion in 'Photos & Bicycle Builds' started by james65, Dec 30, 2012.

1. james65

james65 Member

Picked this bike up for $5 and am going to convert it to a boardtrack/cruiser type ride. The engine for it is a 2-cycle Lawnboy 5HP. It is a 24" bike. It will have: 24x3" tires, front drum brake, leaf spring suspension and a manually controlled continious variable ratio drive setup.

I am a good ways along on this project but no pictures taken(I'll get on that aASAP). shed2 014.jpg

2. Racie35

Racie35 Member

ahhh.....fat tires:tt1:
  3. james65

james65 Member

Cruiser-BTR 014.jpg Cruiser-BTR 009.jpg Cruiser-BTR 011.jpg Here are a few progress pictures.
  4. roughrider

roughrider Member

When I saw the first pic, I was going, "A boardtrack type outta a girl's bike? Eh?"

Then I saw the work you'd done to make a whole new frame. Mad skills.

Man, I have to learn how to fab!
  5. professor

professor Active Member

Wow is right! James, the guys on the tractor forum love those lawnboys. Looks great.
  6. james65

james65 Member

I threw the engine to take some measurements(crank/pedal clearance. I can only go by the sound of this Lawnboy engine but it sounds like one BAD ANIMAL!

Attached Files:

7. james65

james65 Member

Changed intake manifold and carb starts easy now.

Attached Files:

8. keatonx

keatonx Member

Thats sweet! Im also making a 2 stroke lawnmower bike, but with an old tecumseh commercial model. 140cc, removed governor, sealed off EGR tube, it'll be pretty fast i think. (5 gears). The only problem im having is that since the carb is mounted differently to make it horizontal, it is on the bottom of the engine. So it can be hard to start cold when left for a few days because of having to draw fuel upwards.
  9. HeadSmess

HeadSmess Well-Known Member

:whistling:i like that oldschool half pitch chainring :whistling: looking good! at least its a rideable chopper :rofl:
  10. professor

professor Active Member

Great job James. I love the creative thinking seen in these builds.
  11. Greg58

Greg58 Member

Great looking build, since older boys bikes are harder to find why not build one. I have seen a few conversions that were un detectable.
  12. james65

james65 Member

I am now using a tecumseh diaphram carb bolted directly on the bottom of the lawnboy engine. Starts easily both runs and idles great, even in this cold weather.
  13. BigBlue

BigBlue Active Member

Nice build. I like the clean look of the project. Is the manually controlled continuous variable ratio drive setup commercial or did you design and build the unit? Keep us posted of your progress.

AKA: BigBlue
  14. wheelbender6

wheelbender6 Well-Known Member

Must be a real rocket with the big 2 stroke motor.
  15. V 35

V 35 Member

Ace Job ! What type of paint did you use ? Colors look ' different ' on screen . Looks like brown primer on my laptop,
    Wondering what colors ' work ' with theme ? Gas tank is super cool. The M B community needs to see quality builds
    like yours, to keep standards high, and keep riders safe. I've seen too many sloppy builds already. The bikes built by
    forum members [ who put thought into their builds ] seem to be the exception . The bikes I see around town have that
    four hours to assemble look, and that scares me.
  16. james65

james65 Member

Do not adjust your set! Yes it is just primer. I have now finialized the build and tested out the engine with the new diaphram carb with no manifold. That thing runs Sweeeeet! That engine is probably to big for a bicycle but I like it. Almost all my previous bikes have been black & red. Think I'll go a new way, Blue frame & gray/silver tank. Some of the smaller parts will still be black. Have been trying to rush this build but many delays waiting for the clutch and other parts I can't fab myself.

I have been trying rush this project to start another bike related project, that has me stoked. Just built this bike to try out the varie-drive. If I can find some place warm I'll get thing painted and reassembled.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2013
  17. james65

james65 Member

Deablo Azul

Just about wraped up. Still waiting for decals and a seat. Now ready to ride if the weather would just co-operat cruiser-btr 2 002.jpg cruiser-btr 2 005.jpg cruiser-btr 2 009.jpg cruiser-btr 2 011.jpg shed2 014.jpg
  18. BigBlue

BigBlue Active Member

Wow! Nice job. Looks sweet!

AKA: BigBlue
  19. roughrider

roughrider Member

Oh yeah. Wicked cool.
  20. james65

james65 Member

Got the decals for the bike today. Still storming out. Guess the first ride will have to wait a few days! bike name 001.jpg