picking a bike to put a engine on

Ecthelion

Local time
7:29 PM
not sure if this is the right spot if not sorry ><

as the title says im looking for a bike to put one of the ebay engine kits on. Ive been eying 29" Men's Genesis Astra Gx7 Bike, Blue - Walmart.com and im wondering if there's anything better out there for around the same price. i like the fact that its rated for 300lb tho i know most bikes are under rated anyway but im 260lb and 6.5ft tall so beefier the better. once you add the engine weight and vibrations makes me feel more "safe" lol

and Ive been eying Manic Mechanic Billet Sprocket Adapter Sprocket for Motorized Bicycle Engine | eBay

im not looking for crazy speeds just a fun thing to do and get around at 15mph. when its 110 outside and i dont wanna peddle my other bike in the heat

Links to eBay may include affiliate code. If you click on an eBay link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
There definitely have been builds on that bike or something similar. I've considered building one myself. I'm 6 ft, so it's not mandatory for me. But at six feet, five maybe you must go with the bigger bike.

I've always been a bit suspicious that maybe the wheels aren't quite as tough as I'd like for this job. Hopefully someone who has built one can chime in with their results on that.

You ought to be able to do moderate speeds, such as 15, with the stock rear sprocket. Should you go with anything smaller, as the sprocket adapters often are, then you might not have much torque at such low speeds.

But I'm sure you could motorize that bike. It might not be difficult at all.

you will want something that is comfortable for long hours in the saddle, it will need two good "V" brakes, some gears on at least the rear wheel, a rear wheel that has 36 spokes, and no suspension on the rear

hardtail with front suspension, , sprung seat or suspension seatpost. something like a 29 inch might be ideal, but avoid anything with a bottle cage because it can potentially make mounting the motor a real *****

@butre

I find that if you use PVC under your motor mounts, you can then drill a small hole in the PVC to enclose the boss for the bottle mount with no metal-to-metal contact.

"I find that if you use PVC under your motor mounts, you can then drill a small hole in the PVC to enclose the boss for the bottle mount with no metal-to-metal contact."

A good idea.

Back