Pics of my (GEBE) bike in progress

Hi Mary, I won't even pretend I have much of a clue of what to do since I'm a frame mount fan. wandered in to the rack mount thread thinking about my next build and am embarrased that I don't recognize half the people in here.

Anyhow, I admire you determination to get this thing working. I too need a dictionary. You might see if Augi or someone with experience will do a live chatzy with you. I did one with Augi when my motor died http://www.motoredbikes.com/showthread.php?t=6812
My 11 yearold was typing for me and my 8 yearold was getting tools and parts for me, the four of us had a lot of fun and learned a lot of new words (good ones) At first I thought Augi was speaking a different language since I didn't know all the part names.
One of these days we will have to put together a MB picture dictionary.

Good luck. Wish I could be there to see the look on your face when that motor comes to life. It will be well worth all the strugles now and what you learn you will pass on to others in the future.

Thank you, Scott.

Sounds like you had a wonderful, bonding time with your kids. That's great!

Couldn't get the hex bolts to budge

It looks like it may be a NoGo on rotating the engine. All I had were some hex wrenches (the L shaped version like an Allen Wrench). I couldn't get any leverage. Those bolts are on there tight. Real tight. I also noticed there are locking nut washers underneath each bolt.

In order to place washers behind the drivegear, I assume I'd have to loosen it up? I can't see a way to do that without taking off the L shaped plate GEBE has attached to the Tanaka engine.

What do you think? I'm going to call a friend and see if he has a couple of hex heads that will fit on a rachet.

Thanks,

Mary

oh, yeah, they are on there alright...here's how i did it:
MVC-103F.JPG

use a rag or gloves for safety.

Hi Augi,

I just went over to a friend's house with engine in tow. We tried to loosen the bolts up with tools that he had. Again, a NoGo.

He explained to me that they were most likely torqued on and if I knew the poundage that would really help. He said the reason for torque-ing is that metal expands with heat. If you have a bolt installed at say 5# and another one at 10# and another one at 25# of torque, as the metal heats up the 5# bolt will expand and when you try to get if off, it's one helluva problem. No so if all the bolts are torqued at the same poundage.

If it's true that these bolts are torqued on, if I take them off and then re-tighten without torque-ing, that could prove to be problematic.

What da ya think?

Mary

your friend is being correctly cautious...i would only do something like this for someone if they knew what was up.

i'm sure dennis has torque-specs (if someone has those, please jump in with that info) and doesn't just make them "really tight", but i did not hesitate to make my mod because i know how to make sure something goes back together "really tight" too (i used the same crescent-extension to re-install)

do you trust your friend, does he trust himself? once you "break" one loose, you'll know what's going on and can relax...no pun intended, it won't really break.

BTW-i never once assume anything about a mod that's new to me...i check my bolts on a very regular basis...apparently i got them back "really tight" enough because all is well (a plus of higher-quality hardware)

...don't let me push you into something you're not sure you wanna do...if you do want to move forward, i bet we can succeed :)

your friend is being correctly cautious...i would only do something like this for someone if they knew what was up.

however, while i'm sure dennis has torque-specs (if someone has those, please jump in with that info) and doesn't just make them "really tight"...i did not hesitate to make my mod because i know how to make sure something goes back together "really tight" too ;)

(i used the same crescent-extension to re-install)

do you trust your friend, does he trust himself? once you "break" one loose, you'll know what's going on and can relax.

BTW-i never once assume anything about a mod that's new to me...i check my bolts on a very regular basis...apparently i got them back "really tight" enough because all is well (a plus of higher-quality hardware)

...don't let me push you into something you're not sure you wanna do...if you want to move forward, i bet we can succeed

Please don't be concerned about being pushy. You are not at all. I appreciate your help. Actually, I may be guilty of overthinking this. :)

Let's do it. I will have to wait until tomorrow, have to get up early to take friend for physical therapy (new knee replacement, can't drive, needs to go to the torture joint :) )

Mary

cool...is there anything lacking in the pics or posts you'd like me add, or are you good to go?

Back