Sprockets Pictures of the operation and sprocket mount

Discussion in 'Transmission / Drivetrain' started by Sgt. Howard, Aug 4, 2011.

1. Sgt. Howard

Sgt. Howard Member

As promised- images of 'Unit 1' as well as the shop and my secret weapon, the "Howard Sprocket Mount" in prototype. At least, that's what I HOPE to present, assuming I can master this 'puter.
    OK- here is unit 1 and two views of the shop- I will do anther entry with the sprocket mount.

Attached Files:

• 019.jpg
      019.jpg
      File size:
      141.9 KB
      Views:
    • 020.jpg
      020.jpg
      File size:
      82.8 KB
      Views:
    • 021.jpg
      021.jpg
      File size:
      86.5 KB
      Views:
    • 022.jpg
      022.jpg
      File size:
      103.4 KB
      Views:

2. Sgt. Howard

Sgt. Howard Member

more

yes, the Panama Jack makes a handsom MB IMHO= but here is the secret weapon, the reason my sprocket don't (can't) wobble.
    the HOWARD SPROCKET MOUNT!!

3. Sgt. Howard

Sgt. Howard Member

oops!

silly me- please note the work in progress in the first shot.
    the Old Sgt.

Attached Files:

• 015.jpg
      015.jpg
      File size:
      67.8 KB
      Views:
    • 016.jpg
      016.jpg
      File size:
      89.2 KB
      Views:
    • 017.jpg
      017.jpg
      File size:
      79.5 KB
      Views:
    • 018.jpg
      018.jpg
      File size:
      122.8 KB
      Views:
  4. ddesens

ddesens Member

I like it. Sell one to me.

5. Goat Herder

Goat Herder Member

Very kewl digging that clam shell adapter. It looks beefy.:guitarist:

It always nice to see alternatives in this hobby than just the same ol M&M thing.. :D

6. MotorBicycleRacing

MotorBicycleRacing Well-Known Member

7. Goat Herder

Goat Herder Member

I don't think it looks anything like their adapter. :confused::whistling:

I like the looks the of it tho. This stuff is a lot of work to make a prototype type of deal my hats off to you. Hope you can make more!

8. Sgt. Howard

Sgt. Howard Member

adapter

In all honesty, to me the design seems sufficiantly odviouse a solution that the idea that nobody had done this before is a bit much to swallow. Three chunks of mass having once been a single piece now held together by six screws and allowing the origional nine bolts to hold the sprocket is a rather simple solution even if dodging the variety of holes is a challenge. The BIG trick is to make certain that the final cut of the center hole, the sprocket mount face and the alignment ring for the sprocket holes are all made without changing the piece mount in the lathe- concentricity as well as perpendicularity of the aforementioned is now a given. That somebody else has a similar idea in production does not suprise me- rest assured that I did not frank the idea from somebody else's work. I do not have to copy anybody else's work to solve a problem- but as I have said before, some solutions are odviouse. Others are perfectly capable of grasping them. If I thought my idea sufficiantly unique as to obtain a patent, there would be no pictures of said device until a patent was obtained. Odviousely this is not the case...
    So... in fair answer to your question as to what is the difference- I guess I need to look up the aforementioned Live Fast Motors product and assess it for myself before I can tell you. As to how much it will cost, I need to talk buisness with Chris Bailey at Brewster Manufacturing to find the answer to THAT question... but they will be for sale, I assure you.
    Gregory F. (the Old Sgt.) Howard

9. Sgt. Howard

Sgt. Howard Member

Having deduced as much as I can from the one photo, I would say that their product is a two-piece hub mount while mine is a three-piece. Also, they rely on an external ring to assure alignment of the sprocket holes while I use the sprocket itself as a three-piece operation remains concentric to a wider degree of tolerances than a two-piece, especially as the two-piece by nature has to split the sprocket holes 5/4 as opposed to a three-piece at three holes a piece. If my observation of their product is correct, mine is the superior solution. No brag, just fact.
    the Old Sgt.

10. gothicguy64

gothicguy64 Member

here in oz those things are called double gees

brad
    syd

11. Joaquin Suave

Joaquin Suave New Member

My concern would be that by encasing the shell completely you are going to hinder the disapation of the heat generated from the coaster brake. Thus, cooking the grease and having premature hub failure.
    You might want to "groove" some fins in the billet.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2011
  12. wbuttry

wbuttry Member

heck i ride my motor bike every where and my coaster setup never gets hot and my grease is the regular run of the mill axle if you are worried about heat build up get hi temp lithium grease problem solved

13. wbuttry

wbuttry Member

also the coaster brake should not be used on these bike all the time that is where you put on hand brakes and use hand brakes along with coasters

14. Sgt. Howard

Sgt. Howard Member

Regarding coaster brakes

I have the stock coaster and a caliper front brake on my Cranbrick that I have been driving since August 2010. I have made more than a few 'panic stops' with this set-up, once almost going over the handlebars. I weigh 200 pounds. I consider this brake combination competant for the bike.

15. wbuttry

wbuttry Member

i know what you mean sarge you gotta have more brake on those bikes they weigh so much im over 200 myself also and i love my cran brook also mighty fine bike i ride mine everywhere

16. loquin

loquin Active Member

If anything, having a big block of aluminum clamped to the hub will enhance heat distribution. It will certainly take longer to get hot, and with the increased surface area of the hub+adapter, it should radiate heat much more easily. (Also, with the areas hogged out for bolt heads, the surface should allow convection heat transfer more easily as well.)

Last edited: Aug 8, 2011
  17. Lou is right!

Aluminum clamped to the hub will rapidly absorb, and dissipate, the heat that is generated by the coaster brake.

Jim

Last edited: Aug 10, 2011
  18. andyinchville1

andyinchville1 New Member

HI,

I like the fact that you can use a regular 9 hole sprocket...that could save some $$.

Andrew