Pirate Cycles Hub coming soon....

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by vegas3416, Oct 16, 2014.

1. vegas3416

vegas3416 Member

I've been working with Pirate Cycles on building a hub that is a direct bolt on to the Motoped bike but also to other kit bikes and here it is...production has started and will be coming in an all aluminum finish, black anodized, and a special edition red anodized version soon...Just thought I'd post a few pics for any of those people who might have a motoped looking for a hub or others looking for a hub for their builds. Pricing will be up on Pirate Cycles website shortly..hope you guys enjoy.

36Hole Hub with 14mm axle. Champered spoke holes and thicker flanges for those who want to run 12 or even 11(10) gauge spokes.

Attached Files:

2. darwin

darwin Well-Known Member

Nice looking hub, I love cnc machineing products. Gets the blood flowing.......................

3. vegas3416

vegas3416 Member

Hubs for pre-order. First 25 hubs are going for $200/piece...after that they will run $250. Hubs will come black anodized unless you want it as the pic. If interested hit up Pirate Cycles and enjoy...Going to be running a special edition Red version as well. Pre-production has begun.

4. Fabian

Fabian Well-Known Member

:iagree:

Now if only they could manufacture a 12" disk brake rotor in the Shimano SM-RT75-DH 203 pattern, as well as a caliper adapter to fit an I.S. mount.

5. vegas3416

vegas3416 Member

12" disk? Why so big?

6. Fabian

Fabian Well-Known Member

Because 9 inches doesn't give enough braking power and isn't able radiate enough heat, in a motorised bicycle application.
    My personal preference is for a 12" disk brake rotor, with a caliper adapter that is designed to stack two (2) I.S. mount brake calipers one on top of the other; that are linked together with an adjustable control rod.

Having said that, i would be happy with just a 12" rotor and caliper adapter.

mt_baw12.jpg

7. butre

butre Well-Known Member

I think thicker rotors would be a bigger improvement

8. Fabian

Fabian Well-Known Member

But a thicker rotor won't fit in between the caliper and brake pads, besides, a 12" rotor would look much more impressive than a little 9" rotor.

9. max350

max350 Member

10. Fabian

Fabian Well-Known Member

Now that would "seem" like a logical assessment of the situation, but you can answer your own question by asking yourself: where does all of the heat go when using the rim as a braking surface?

What would happen to the integrity of the rubber on the bead of the tyre?

What would be the outcome?

11. max350

max350 Member

Now I think you exaggerates a little, the heat generated when braking can hardly destroy the tire. The surface area of ​​a 26 inch rim is much more than an example. 8 inch disc, much larger surface area to warm up. Only problem with the V-brakes as I see it, is that the rim must be replaced periodically due to wear and tear

12. Fabian

Fabian Well-Known Member

Wrong - sometimes i exaggerate a lot, but only when it's completely necessary.

Are you absolutely sure about that?

It is, but what is the temperature tolerance of the rubber that the rim is resting up against, during prolonged periods of heavy braking and can the rim get hot enough to cause a bead failure, in conjunction with the air expanding in the inner tube through heat transfer?

and where does heat dissipation go?

What about the possibility of the brake pads partially melting, with prolonged periods of heavy braking?

If rim brakes were as effective as you might suggest, they would be on my bike!

13. Fabian

Fabian Well-Known Member

But anyway, may i steer the thread back on track to - Pirate Cycles Hub coming soon....

14. KCvale

KCvale Motorized Bicycle Vendor

Little 9" rotor?
    I do have to smile with you Fabian, 12" discs would look more impressive, but other than your treacherous mountain road biking few of us need brakes that good any more than we need cruise ship anchor chain for a bike lock or drive chain.

Besides, dual 9" discs work fantastic and look pretty darn cool on the MotoPed this hub is a replacement for.

[​IMG]

Hey Vegas...
    What are the changes / improvements with your hub, or is it just a less expensive?
    Either are good to know for me as I have that MotoPed in the bay right now.
    Thanks

15. max350

max350 Member

16. KCvale

KCvale Motorized Bicycle Vendor

17. max350

max350 Member

There will of course be a problem !! far too small !, was not thinking about it:grin5:

18. Fabian

Fabian Well-Known Member

19. Fabian

Fabian Well-Known Member

I am inclined to agree with your statement, considering a 9" rotor is at it's limit in normal braking operation.
    I need my bike to be wearing a full 12 inches.

20. Fabian

Fabian Well-Known Member

:iagree: