Pirate Cycles Hub coming soon....

Now that would "seem" like a logical assessment of the situation, but you can answer your own question by asking yourself: where does all of the heat go when using the rim as a braking surface?

What would happen to the integrity of the rubber on the bead of the tyre?

What would be the outcome?

Now I think you exaggerates a little, the heat generated when braking can hardly destroy the tire. The surface area of ​​a 26 inch rim is much more than an example. 8 inch disc, much larger surface area to warm up. Only problem with the V-brakes as I see it, is that the rim must be replaced periodically due to wear and tear

Now I think you exaggerates a little,

Wrong - sometimes i exaggerate a lot, but only when it's completely necessary.

the heat generated when braking can hardly destroy the tire.

Are you absolutely sure about that?

The surface area of ​​a 26 inch rim is much more than an example. 8 inch disc

It is, but what is the temperature tolerance of the rubber that the rim is resting up against, during prolonged periods of heavy braking and can the rim get hot enough to cause a bead failure, in conjunction with the air expanding in the inner tube through heat transfer?

much larger surface area to warm up

and where does heat dissipation go?

Only problem with the V-brakes as I see it, is that the rim must be replaced periodically due to wear and tear

What about the possibility of the brake pads partially melting, with prolonged periods of heavy braking?

If rim brakes were as effective as you might suggest, they would be on my bike!

... besides, a 12" rotor would look much more impressive than a little 9" rotor.
Little 9" rotor?
I do have to smile with you Fabian, 12" discs would look more impressive, but other than your treacherous mountain road biking few of us need brakes that good any more than we need cruise ship anchor chain for a bike lock or drive chain.

Besides, dual 9" discs work fantastic and look pretty darn cool on the MotoPed this hub is a replacement for.

MotoPedEngineR-1280.jpg

Hey Vegas...
What are the changes / improvements with your hub, or is it just a less expensive?
Either are good to know for me as I have that MotoPed in the bay right now.
Thanks

Back