Piston Rings

Discussion in '2-Stroke Engines' started by dougsr.874, Mar 17, 2012.

1. dougsr.874

dougsr.874 Active Member

How much space should there be between the ends of rings on a 50cc two stroke.... I bought a new piston with the rings on it and the space between the ring end is about half to three quarters of an inch apart....so when I put it in the cylinder the ring ends are hitting a port and seizing the engine...Also, is there a front and back to a new piston in a new cylinder....Any comments are appreciated....

2. Al.Fisherman

Al.Fisherman Active Member

Only a few thousands of a inch. Pistons?
    I have a post about the piston, let's see if I can find it.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2012
  3. dougsr.874

dougsr.874 Active Member

Mr. Fisherman, Many thanks for your info...obviously, the rings were broken when I bought the piston....
  4. FelipeCobu

FelipeCobu Member

I was wondering... What will happen if I run the engine with only one piston ring? Do someone tried this?
  5. Greg58

Greg58 Member

If the engine runs it wont be good, not enough sealing with one ring. Low compression means low power.
  6. Skyliner70cc

Skyliner70cc Active Member

In 2006, I purchased a new HT engine from a recognized and respected vendor here that ran poorly. Upon teardown, I discovered that it had only one piston ring. A new ring fixed that problem and engine is still in use today.
  7. Lunardog

Lunardog Member

If Im not mistaken there should be an arrow on the top of the piston that should point to the exhaust port.
  8. Greg58

Greg58 Member

My bgf 48cc does not have any markings on the piston, so I left the right clip in the piston and pushed the pin out with a small punch.