Piston will not go low enough in cylinder for intake

Hulk_Hogue

Local time
3:11 AM
My first post here, hoping you all can help.

As the title says, the piston of my kit doesn't go low enough in the cylinder to reach the intake port at all. It's a brand new HT kit that hasn't turned over once. Below are some pictures.

Photo01040421.jpgPhoto01040421_1.jpg

In each of these, the exhaust port is on the top of the photo. The piston is as low as it can go in its cycle. This makes the process come to a complete stand still, as the piston's fighting to compress/decompress nearly halts all movement.

How can I fix this?

Ahhh, just learned up. Sorry, come from a car background; ports not opening usually mean a no-go.

Great, now I'm stumped. I can't get this engine to turn over for the life of me and I've no idea what to do. The spark plug doesn't feel wet, nor do I know if it's even sparking while under compression.

Getting the first start out of these can sometimes be tough. I suspect that the rings need a few minutes running to get a good seat.

Try hitting the tickler button on the carb till you see a bit of fuel leaking out. Try some choke.

If the plug doesn't look wet, you can throw any old plug in that has enough deposits on it to show wetness easily & crank it without the plug cap on to see if you see wetness then.

if not, then check your fuel lines for flow by removing to drain plug on the carb bowl.

on a piston port 2 stroke, the intake is uncovered by the bottom of the piston, not the top. The transfer and exhaust ports however, are uncovered on the top of the piston. and in your pic I see them so its all good.

spark plug should be wet. check float height in fuel bowl. pull fuel line off of carb and see if fuel flows out.
to check spark take the spark plug off, reconnect it to the spark wire, hold it onto the head with your hand (gloved if scared) in the evening or at night and push the bike causing the engine to turn over. it may only spark with a really healthy push. if no spark then ya got a problem.

Back